5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- .Give an example of how the adult might model deictic and representational gestures
- 'All gone cookie' is an example of what semantic relation?
- What are the most efficient types of input for encouraging language acquisition?
- Some children show preferences for using certain semantic relations,they'll use the same semantic relations over and over. Until the developmental level exceeds 36 mos, we as speech language pathologists and parents should
- How can we increase the child's communication from gestures to vocalization?
- a disappearance
- b If the child bangs a cup, the clinician can imitate the banging, then hold the cup up to the child's face to show it, saying "cup!""
- c Expansions and Extensions
- d Up the ante-withhold responding until child produces vocal behavior.Only those vocalizations that include CONSONANTS help to move child in direction of words.Don't reward vocalizations, e.g., grunts, whines, & uh-uh.Acknowledge communication; say, "You want it; tell me..."
- e Not discourage children from those preferences. We should teach the child more words he can use to express himself and provide increased opportunities in play contexts for the client to use these relations with new words.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Indirect Language Stimulation techniques.
- Cognitive development and symbolic behavior.
- Direct intervention aimed at eliciting expressive communication.
- Withhold responding until child produces word approximation.
- 1. prompts
3. natural consequences
5 True/False questions
How can we teach the child more words he can use to express himself ? → It's important to not only tell them but show them. We need to model these strategies so parents feel more comfortable. Coach them while they're doing it.
What are some considerations when teaching the "withholding responses" technique to parents to encourage the child to produce the targeted behavior? → Expansions, extensions, recasts, open-ended Qs, and verbal reflective Qs.
The consequences of language delay for a child's social and cognitive development can be _____________. Language is one of the most ________________ functions in a young child's development → pervasive, vulnerable
If the toddler has more than 30% of his sample coded to 'other', we would want to → Gives the child a clear set of examples of how language is used to describe experience. Allows children to try out their new understanding in their own production.
'Hit ball' is an example of what semantic relation? → Action-object