5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Only those vocalizations that include ______________________ help to move child in direction of words
- To assess a toddler's communication skills, we measure...
- What is the "Be Spontaneous Paradox"?
- The parent or clinician can model play in gestures with simple language in facilitating symbolic play goals.
Give an example of how the adult might encourage early auto-symbolic play
- When children can utilize proto-imperatives and proto-declaratives, we can begin to focus on
- a FUNCTION, RATE and FORM of communicating
- b consonants
- c Initial symbolic types of communication.
- d We want them to initiate communication spontaneously but we have to somehow get them to do it.
- e The adult might present the child with some toys such as a bottle, bed, spoon, cup, etc. If the child looks at or touches the cup, the adult might say, "Nice cup! Let's have a drink, " and pretend to drink from it.
The adult would then encourage the child to imitate the auto-symbolic action: "Now you try a drink. Mmm! It's good, isn't it?""
5 Multiple choice questions
- Establish routines & then violate the routine. Withhold a turn, etc.
- -Johnny will demonstrate symbolic play at the extended multiple play episode level as demonstrated in at least five different contexts in at least two different settings.
- states of feeling and attention.
- Both expressive and receptive skills through the use of focused stimulation and ILS (Indirect language stimulation).
- Parent implemented intervention will encourage generalization more quickly and may encourage social skills as well as communication with the child.
5 True/False questions
Name the 3 characteristics of MILIEU TEACHING TECHNIQUES → 1.Desirable materials/activities are visible, but out of reach. 2.Wait for interest, prompt communication (15 sec.).
3.Or provide model for child to imitate (15 sec.).
What are the 2 types of models? → "Nice Belt!"
To assess a toddler's social / affective signaling, we measure... → comprehension of questions, requests and commands
When using Prelinguistic Milieu Teaching Methods, how should you Follow the child's attentional lead? → Talk about the toys the child selects.
Communicate at child's rate, even if there are long periods of silence.Imitate the child's motor act exactly, or with a reduced or slightly expanded version
.Use contingent vocal imitation-give a partial, exact or modified version of the child's vocalization.
Evaluating a child's communicative functioning in each area is important for what 2 purposes? → Monitoring his progress every three to six months, providing counseling to parents, and considering intervention if expressive language continues to lag as he entries the older preschool period."