Create an account
Six Major Classes of Enzymes
Characteristic of an enzyme
1. Works faster with increase energy
2. Can be used over and over
3. Specific for a substrate
4. Always end with "ase"
8 Major Reactions in Kreb's Cycle
Acetyl Co-A + Oxaloacetate --> 6-C (Citrate) --> 5-C (alpha-ketoglutartate) + CO2 + NADH --> 4-C (Succinyl) + CO2 + NADH --> 4-C (Fumarate) + GTP + FADH2 --> 4-C (Oxaloacetate) + NADH
Which reaction does mercury inhibit?
Mercury attach to Pyruvate to prevent Pyruvate --> Acetyl CoA + CO2
Inhibitors of Oxidative Phosphorylation
1. Barbituates - stops electron transfer at CoQ
2. Cyanide, CO, Sulfides - stop energy exchange
Function of Epinephrine in Glycogen Metabolism
1. Stimulate glycogen breakdown
2. Affects mainly in muscle
Function of Glucagon in Glycogen Metabolism
1. Produced in the alpha cell of pancreas
2. Stimulate glycogen breakdown
3. Stimulates gluconeogenesis: making new sugar from pyruvate/AA
4. Affects primarily in liver
Sx of defects in Glycogen Storage
3. Cardiac failure
4. Respiratory failure
6. Exercise intolerance
What is Cori Cycle?
In muscle: Glucose --> Lactate
In Liver: Lactate --> pyruvate --> Glucose
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together