5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- research method for achieving causational implications
- Three main areas of the brain
- Cognitive psychology
- Evolutionary psychology
- a Experimental design; correlation does not equal causation
- b scientific study of mental processes, including perception, thought, memory and reasoning
- c a psychological approach that explains mind and behavior in terms of the adaptive value of abilities that are preserved over time by natural selection
- d sits on top of the hindbrain, relatively small in humans, is important for orientation and movement
- e Hindbrain, Midbrain, Forebrain
5 Multiple choice questions
- A region of the cerebral cortex that processes visual information
- The scientific study of mind and behavior
- The brain plays a central role in the control of most bodily functions, including awareness, movements, sensations, thoughts, speech, and memory. Some reflex movements can occur via spinal cord pathways without the participation of brain structures.
- an approach that advocates that psychologists restrict themselves to the scientific study of objectively observable behavior
- The debate centers on the relative contributions of genetic inheritance and environmental factors to human development. Some philosophers such as Plato and Descartes suggested that certain things are inborn, or that they simply occur naturally regardless of environmental influences. Other well-known thinkers such as John Locke believed in what is known as tabula rasa, which suggests that the mind begins as a blank slate. According to this notion, everything that we are and all of our knowledge is determined by our experience.
5 True/False questions
Myelin sheath → insulating layer of fatty material
Basal ganglia → located in the subcortical area, a set of subcortical structures that directs intentional movements; located near the thalamus and hypothalamus; receive input from the cerebral cortex and send outputs to the motor centers in the brainstem
Why research methods are necessary in psychology → Respecting people, animals and the truth:
How neurons communicate → cells in the nervous system that communicate with one another to perform information-processing tasks
Advantages of Archival Research: → The researchers have not control over how data was collected, important date may be missing from the records, previous research may be unreliable.