5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Farmer's Difficulties in late 19th Century
- Benevolent Assimilation
- Election of 1900
- Plains Buffalo
- a Republicans renominated President McKinley with Theodore Roosevelt as vice president. Democrats nominated William Jennings Bryan, who argued for free silver (1896). Americans accepted the recently enacted gold standard, while Bryan attacked the growth of American imperialism. Philippines was an accomplished fact. The growing national economic prosperity gave McKinley a victory.
- b McKinley and the U.S. were trying to assimilate the Philippines to help them become better. American dollars went to the Philippines to improve roads, sanitation, and public health. Although the U.S. might have looked intrusive, they were actually trying to improve the condition of the Philippines.
- c a national policy of actively trading with foreign countries to foster peace and prosperity.
- d The Sioux, Cheyenne, Arapaho, and other groups relied on buffalo or food, shelter, clothing, tools, and countless other necessities of everyday life. Were put at risk when White Settlers killed them off for railroads, leather, etc.
- e Natural Disasters when farming. They were heavily taxed because they couldn't hide their assets. Farmer's wanted silver for debt to create inflation.
5 Multiple choice questions
- 1887, dismantled American Indian tribes, set up individuals as family heads with 160 acres, tried to make rugged individualists out of the Indians, attempt to assimilate the Indian population into that of the American.
- Included people from many Indian nations including Cheyenne, Arapahos, Piutes, and Sioux. Came into great conflict with settlers because settlers did not respect the Indian land.
- A policy in which a strong nation seeks to dominate other countries poitically, socially, and economically.
- (TR) , Roosevelt's 1904 extension of the Monroe Doctrine, stating that the United States has the right to protect its economic interests in South And Central America by using military force, first put into effect in Dominican Republic.
- an association formed by farmers in the last 1800s to make life better for farmers by sharing information about crops, prices, and supplies
5 True/False questions
McKinley's Assassination → McKinley and the U.S. were trying to assimilate the Philippines to help them become better. American dollars went to the Philippines to improve roads, sanitation, and public health. Although the U.S. might have looked intrusive, they were actually trying to improve the condition of the Philippines.
Safety Valve → Theory that when hard times came, the unemployed could migrate west and be prosperous farmers.
Induced urban employers to maintain high wage rates. (Denver, Chicago, St.Louis)
Battle of Wounded Knee → April 1896 - U.S. declared Cuba free from Spain, but the Teller Amendment disclaimed any American intention to annex Cuba.
Homestead Act → an association formed by farmers in the last 1800s to make life better for farmers by sharing information about crops, prices, and supplies
Spanish American War → War fought between the US and Spain in 1898 in Cuba and the Philippines. The US went into the war to help Cuba fight for independence. It lasted less than 3 months and resulted in Cuba's independence as well as the US annexing Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Philippines. It can also be called the "Splendid Little War". The US received recognition from Europe and Spain began to fight in the side of the US.