1. decrease K intake
2. give Kayexelate to increase K excretion but it will cause diarrhea and also check for hypokalemia
3. give insulin with D50 glucose to cause K to temporarily shift intracellularly and the glucose will prevent hypoglycemia. This is temporary and the K will come back out. This is used in life-threatening situations like life threatening arrythmias.
4. give diuretics that are NOT potassium sparing like Lasix (Furosemide), Bumex, and Demodex
5. give isotonic fluids, PO and IV
6. if severe then they will need dialysis