- The process of becoming a citizen - Must have lived in the U.S. for at least 5 years
3 Steps to the Naturalization Process?
- Application - Examination - Final Hearing
- Form N-400 - Applicant must submit an application to U.S. citizenship - $680 to apply
- Must pass oral exam by answering 6 out of 10 questions correctly - Passing will prove: loyalty to the U.S. Constitution, ability to read, write, and speak English, knowledge of U.S. History and our democratic form of government
- Applicant appears before a citizenship court and gets interviewed - Takes an oath of loyalty (Naturalization Oath of Allegiance) - Granted certificate of citizenship
Duties of a Citizen?
- Obeying the laws - Defending the nation - Serving on a jury or as a witness in court - Paying taxes - Attending school
Responsibilities of a Citizen?
- Working toward the common good - Voting - Holding government office - Participating in election campaigns - Influencing government