- The process of becoming a citizen
- Must have lived in the U.S. for at least 5 years
3 Steps to the Naturalization Process?
- Final Hearing
- Form N-400
- Applicant must submit an application to U.S. citizenship
- $680 to apply
- Must pass oral exam by answering 6 out of 10 questions correctly
- Passing will prove: loyalty to the U.S. Constitution, ability to read, write, and speak English, knowledge of U.S. History and our democratic form of government
- Applicant appears before a citizenship court and gets interviewed
- Takes an oath of loyalty (Naturalization Oath of Allegiance)
- Granted certificate of citizenship
Duties of a Citizen?
- Obeying the laws
- Defending the nation
- Serving on a jury or as a witness in court
- Paying taxes
- Attending school
Responsibilities of a Citizen?
- Working toward the common good
- Holding government office
- Participating in election campaigns
- Influencing government
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.