Create an account
- The process of becoming a citizen
- Must have lived in the U.S. for at least 5 years
- Must pass oral exam by answering 6 out of 10 questions correctly
- Passing will prove: loyalty to the U.S. Constitution, ability to read, write, and speak English, knowledge of U.S. History and our democratic form of government
- Applicant appears before a citizenship court and gets interviewed
- Takes an oath of loyalty (Naturalization Oath of Allegiance)
- Granted certificate of citizenship
Duties of a Citizen?
- Obeying the laws
- Defending the nation
- Serving on a jury or as a witness in court
- Paying taxes
- Attending school
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together