5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Government in the Sunshine Act
- Independent Executive Agency
- Line Organization
- Spoils System
- a A federal agency that is not part of a cabinet department but reports directly to the president.
- b The awarding of government jobs to political supporters and friends.
- c A law that requires all committee-directed federal agencies to conduct their business regularly in public session.
- d In the federal government, an administrative unit that is directly accountable to the president.
- e The replacement of government services with services provided by private firms.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A model of bureaucracy that views top-level bureaucrats as seeking constantly to expand the size of their budgets and the staffs of their departments or agencies so as to gain greater power and influence in the public sector.
- A model of bureaucracy developed by the German sociologist Max Weber, who viewed bureaucracies as rational, hierarchical organizations in which decisions are based on logical reasoning.
- The act by which an industry being regulated by a government agency gains direct or indirect control over agency personnel and decision makers.
- Laws requiring that existing programs be reviewed regularly for their effectiveness and be terminated unless specifically extended as a result of these reviews.
- An act that established the principle of employment on the basis of merit and created the Civil Service Commission to administer the personnel service.
5 True/False questions
Administrative Agency → A federal, state, or local government unit established to perform a specific function. Administrative agencies are created and authorized by legislative bodies to administer and enforce specific laws.
Bureaucracy → The act by which an industry being regulated by a government agency gains direct or indirect control over agency personnel and decision makers.
Cabinet Department → One of the 15 departments of the executive branch (State, Treasury, Defense, Justice, Interior, Agriculture, Commerce, Labor, Health and Human Services, Homeland Security, Housing and Urban Development, Education, Energy, Transportation, and Veterans Affairs).
Issue Network → Someone who brings to public attention gross governmental inefficiency or an illegal action.
Merit System → The awarding of government jobs to political supporters and friends.