5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Merit System
- Independent Executive Agency
- Issue Network
- Line Organization
- Pendleton Act (Civil Service Reform Act)
- a An act that established the principle of employment on the basis of merit and created the Civil Service Commission to administer the personnel service.
- b The selection, retention, and promotion of government employees on the basis of competitive examinations.
- c In the federal government, an administrative unit that is directly accountable to the president.
- d A federal agency that is not part of a cabinet department but reports directly to the president.
- e A group of individuals or organizations— which may consist of legislators and legislative staff members, interest group leaders, bureaucrats, the media, scholars, and other experts—that supports a particular policy position on a given issue.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Laws requiring that existing programs be reviewed regularly for their effectiveness and be terminated unless specifically extended as a result of these reviews.
- A model of bureaucracy that compares bureaucracies to monopolistic business firms. Lack of competition in either circumstance leads to inefficient and costly operations.
- Someone who brings to public attention gross governmental inefficiency or an illegal action.
- A large organization that is structured hierarchically to carry out specific functions.
- A model of bureaucracy developed by the German sociologist Max Weber, who viewed bureaucracies as rational, hierarchical organizations in which decisions are based on logical reasoning.
5 True/False questions
Independent Regulatory Agency → An agency outside the major executive departments charged with making and implementing rules and regulations.
Government in the Sunshine Act → An agency of government that administers a quasi-business enterprise. These corporations are used when activities are primarily commercial.
Acquistive Model → A model of bureaucracy that compares bureaucracies to monopolistic business firms. Lack of competition in either circumstance leads to inefficient and costly operations.
Civil Service Commission → The initial central personnel agency of the national government; created in 1883.
Government Corporation → Laws requiring that existing programs be reviewed regularly for their effectiveness and be terminated unless specifically extended as a result of these reviews.