5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Iron Triangle
- Government in the Sunshine Act
- Weberian Model
- Line Organization
- Civil Service Commission
- a In the federal government, an administrative unit that is directly accountable to the president.
- b The three-way alliance among legislators, bureaucrats, and interest groups to make or preserve policies that benefit their respective interests.
- c A law that requires all committee-directed federal agencies to conduct their business regularly in public session.
- d A model of bureaucracy developed by the German sociologist Max Weber, who viewed bureaucracies as rational, hierarchical organizations in which decisions are based on logical reasoning.
- e The initial central personnel agency of the national government; created in 1883.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The awarding of government jobs to political supporters and friends.
- The replacement of government services with services provided by private firms.
- An agency of government that administers a quasi-business enterprise. These corporations are used when activities are primarily commercial.
- An agency outside the major executive departments charged with making and implementing rules and regulations.
- A group of individuals or organizations— which may consist of legislators and legislative staff members, interest group leaders, bureaucrats, the media, scholars, and other experts—that supports a particular policy position on a given issue.
5 True/False questions
Whistleblower → Someone who brings to public attention gross governmental inefficiency or an illegal action.
Administrative Agency → A model of bureaucracy that views top-level bureaucrats as seeking constantly to expand the size of their budgets and the staffs of their departments or agencies so as to gain greater power and influence in the public sector.
Capture → A large organization that is structured hierarchically to carry out specific functions.
Enabling Legislation → Laws requiring that existing programs be reviewed regularly for their effectiveness and be terminated unless specifically extended as a result of these reviews.
Pendleton Act (Civil Service Reform Act) → The initial central personnel agency of the national government; created in 1883.