5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Cabinet Department
- Civil Service Commission
- a The initial central personnel agency of the national government; created in 1883.
- b The replacement of government services with services provided by private firms.
- c A large organization that is structured hierarchically to carry out specific functions.
- d The act by which an industry being regulated by a government agency gains direct or indirect control over agency personnel and decision makers.
- e One of the 15 departments of the executive branch (State, Treasury, Defense, Justice, Interior, Agriculture, Commerce, Labor, Health and Human Services, Homeland Security, Housing and Urban Development, Education, Energy, Transportation, and Veterans Affairs).
5 Multiple choice questions
- A model of bureaucracy that views top-level bureaucrats as seeking constantly to expand the size of their budgets and the staffs of their departments or agencies so as to gain greater power and influence in the public sector.
- A law that requires all committee-directed federal agencies to conduct their business regularly in public session.
- The awarding of government jobs to political supporters and friends.
- An agency outside the major executive departments charged with making and implementing rules and regulations.
- In the federal government, an administrative unit that is directly accountable to the president.
5 True/False questions
Sunset Legislation → Laws requiring that existing programs be reviewed regularly for their effectiveness and be terminated unless specifically extended as a result of these reviews.
Administrative Agency → A federal, state, or local government unit established to perform a specific function. Administrative agencies are created and authorized by legislative bodies to administer and enforce specific laws.
Issue Network → Someone who brings to public attention gross governmental inefficiency or an illegal action.
Independent Executive Agency → An agency outside the major executive departments charged with making and implementing rules and regulations.
Merit System → The selection, retention, and promotion of government employees on the basis of competitive examinations.