5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Civil Service Commission
- Merit System
- Spoils System
- Weberian Model
- Independent Executive Agency
- a The awarding of government jobs to political supporters and friends.
- b The initial central personnel agency of the national government; created in 1883.
- c The selection, retention, and promotion of government employees on the basis of competitive examinations.
- d A model of bureaucracy developed by the German sociologist Max Weber, who viewed bureaucracies as rational, hierarchical organizations in which decisions are based on logical reasoning.
- e A federal agency that is not part of a cabinet department but reports directly to the president.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Laws requiring that existing programs be reviewed regularly for their effectiveness and be terminated unless specifically extended as a result of these reviews.
- An agency outside the major executive departments charged with making and implementing rules and regulations.
- An act that established the principle of employment on the basis of merit and created the Civil Service Commission to administer the personnel service.
- A law that requires all committee-directed federal agencies to conduct their business regularly in public session.
- In the federal government, an administrative unit that is directly accountable to the president.
5 True/False questions
Privatization → In the federal government, an administrative unit that is directly accountable to the president.
Bureaucracy → The act by which an industry being regulated by a government agency gains direct or indirect control over agency personnel and decision makers.
Cabinet Department → One of the 15 departments of the executive branch (State, Treasury, Defense, Justice, Interior, Agriculture, Commerce, Labor, Health and Human Services, Homeland Security, Housing and Urban Development, Education, Energy, Transportation, and Veterans Affairs).
Capture → A large organization that is structured hierarchically to carry out specific functions.
Government Corporation → An agency of government that administers a quasi-business enterprise. These corporations are used when activities are primarily commercial.