Terms of Service - Developer API 2.0
Last modified September 15, 2011
The following Terms of Service (ToS) for the Quizlet API is subject to change at any time and for any reason, without notice, and we expect it to evolve as the API evolves. Please note that Quizlet reserves the right to terminate this Agreement or discontinue your use of the Quizlet API or any portion or feature for any or no reason at any time.
Compliance with Terms. You may use the Quizlet API, and the data, content, and information made available through the Quizlet API ("API Data"), in connection with a website or software application developed by You only in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement and the Quizlet Terms of Service. Quizlet may monitor Your use of the Quizlet API to ensure quality, improve Quizlet products and services, and verify Your compliance with these terms. You shall not interfere with such monitoring or otherwise obscure from Quizlet Your use of the Quizlet API.
Attribution and Branding. Your Application shall provide proper attribution to Quizlet as specified in the Quizlet API Brand Guidelines, which may be modified by Quizlet at any time. Quizlet grants You a non-exclusive license to use the Quizlet Brand assets solely in connection with their display on or through the API implementation as delivered and approved by Quizlet. Quizlet may terminate Your license to use the Quizlet Brand assets at any time for any reason.
Caching. Your Quizlet API implementation may cache data only on the behalf of Quizlet users. This is typically required for mobile devices which may not have a constantly accessible internet connection. Your implementation may not cache more data than is requested by Quizlet users. Centralized API implementations (i.e. implementations that store data in one place for multiple users) may not cache data for longer than 48 hours.
Usage and Quotas. Quizlet may, in its sole discretion, set a quota of operations on Your Quizlet API usage. You shall not attempt to circumvent automated use-quota restrictions. Quizlet is committed to open access to our API for commercial and non-commercial purposes. However, providing the API does have real costs for Quizlet. For uses of Quizlet API over a certain rate or for certain types of commercial applications, Quizlet reserves the right to charge fees for future use of the Quizlet API.
Communication. Before releasing your Application to the public and before submitting your Application to marketplaces such as the iTunes App Store, Android Marketplace, etc., we strongly recommend showing us your application and getting our feedback to prevent your API key from being revoked.
Security. You must take all reasonable measures to secure your Application and follow all of our security requirements. You must secure all access tokens within your application and not transmit elsewhere.
Privacy. You must take all reasonable precautions to protect user privacy, including (but not limited to) only caching or storing user data as necessary for Your application's functionality. You must have a mechanism to allow users to destroy any data that Your application has temporarily cached, upon the user's or Quizlet's request.
Your Quizlet API implementation will not, and You will not encourage or create functionality for Your users or other third parties to:
- interfere or attempt to interfere in any manner with the proper workings of the Quizlet API, or create or distribute any API implementation that adversely affects the functionality or performance of Quizlet or services provided by Quizlet;
- sell, lease, lend, convey, redistribute, or sublicense to any third party all or any portion of the Quizlet API or Quizlet API Data;
- use the Quizlet API intentionally to encourage or promote copyright infringement or the exploitation of copyright-infringing materials;
- misrepresent your identity when registering for use of the Quizlet API, use the developer credentials licensed to a different individual or entity, or mask Your usage of the Quizlet API;
ADDITIONAL LEGAL PROVISIONS
- Compliance with Laws. You are responsible for complying with all applicable laws, rules and regulations, all third-party rights and all Quizlet policies. You shall not use the Quizlet API in a manner that violates such laws, rules and regulations, third parties' rights or any Quizlet policies or in a manner that is deceptive, unethical, false or misleading.
- No Implied Rights. Except as expressly granted herein, neither party through this Agreement grants the other party any intellectual property rights or other propriety rights. Quizlet retains all intellectual property rights (including all patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, and other proprietary rights) in and to the Quizlet data and intellectual property. All license rights granted herein are not sublicensable, transferable or assignable.
- Non-exclusive. This Agreement is a non-exclusive agreement. You acknowledge that Quizlet may be developing and may develop products or services that may compete with your (or any other) Quizlet API implementation.
- Publicity. You agree that Quizlet may use Your company, organization, or product name and/or logo in presentations, marketing materials, website listings, and other marketing-related activities.
- Confidentiality. You shall not disclose Your developer credentials to any third party except Your agent(s) using such information solely on Your behalf in accordance with this Agreement. You shall not disclose Quizlet Confidential Information to any third party without Quizlet's prior written consent.
- Indemnification. You shall indemnify, defend and hold Quizlet, its agents, affiliates, and licensors harmless from any claim, costs, losses, damages, liabilities, judgments and expenses (including reasonable fees of attorneys and other professionals), arising out of or in connection with any claim, action or proceeding (any and all of which are "Claims") by a third party arising out of Your use of the Quizlet API in any manner that breaches this Agreement or otherwise arising out of materials or technology contributed by You and not by Quizlet.
- Termination. Any licenses contained in this Agreement will terminate automatically without notice if You fail to comply with any provision of this Agreement. Quizlet reserves the right to terminate this Agreement or discontinue your use of the Quizlet API or any portion or feature thereof for any or no reason and at any time. Upon any termination or notice of any discontinuance, You shall immediately stop and thereafter desist from using the Quizlet API and delete all API Data in Your possession or control (including, without limitation, from Your servers).
- Modification. Quizlet may modify any of the terms and conditions contained in this Agreement at any time and in its sole discretion by posting a change notice to Your account, changing these terms and conditions, emailing to the email address of Your account or account associated with Your developer credentials or otherwise notifying You. IF ANY MODIFICATION IS UNACCEPTABLE TO YOU, YOUR ONLY RECOURSE IS TO TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT. YOUR CONTINUED USE OF THE QUIZLET API, CONTINUED POSSESSION OF A COPY OF NON-PUBLIC QUIZLET API DOCUMENTATION AND SPECIFICATIONS OR CONTINUED DEVELOPMENT FOLLOWING POSTING OF A CHANGE NOTICE OR NEW AGREEMENT ON OUR SITE WILL CONSTITUTE BINDING ACCEPTANCE OF THE CHANGE.
- Disclaimer and Limitation of Liability. QUIZLET DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, FOR NONINFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR ANY PURPOSE. QUIZLET SHALL HAVE NO DIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, OR OTHER LIABILITY WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LIABILITY AND NOTWITHSTANDING ANY FAILURE OF ESSENTIAL PURPOSE OF ANY LIMITED REMEDY. IN THE EVENT THAT THE FOREGOING IS NOT ENFORCEABLE, QUIZLET'S AGGREGATE LIABILITY UNDER THIS AGREEMENT IS LIMITED TO FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500.00).
- Release. You hereby release and covenant not to sue Quizlet and its corporate affiliates and any of their officers, directors, employees, agents, shareholders, licensors, licensees, assigns or successors, for any and all damages, liabilities, causes of action, judgments, and claims (a) pertaining to any intellectual property You develop that is based on, uses, or relates to the Quizlet API; and (b) which otherwise may arise in connection with Your use of, reliance on, or reference to the Quizlet API. If You have a dispute with one or more Quizlet account owners, You release Quizlet and its corporate affiliates and any of their officers, directors, employees, agents, shareholders, licensors, licensees, assigns or successors, for any and all damages, liabilities, causes of action, judgments, and claims arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes. If You are a California resident, You waive California Civil Code 1542 which says: "A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor."
The Quizlet API 2.0
- Developer Dashboard
- Making API Calls
- Sample Calls
- API Tester
- User Authentication
- Security Requirements
- API Reference
- API Terms of Service
- Branding and Attribution