Upgrade to remove ads
GAS (General Adaptation Syndrome)
Terms in this set (11)
What does the model say about stress?
That physiological responses to stress were generally the same, whether it is eustress or distress.
That stress represents the body's generalised effort to adapt itself to new conditions
Alarm reaction (shock & counter-shock)
What happens during the first stage?
- it is the initial response when first become aware of stressor
Shock: temporary state where the body's ability to deal with stressor falls below normal level and body reacts as if it were injured
Counter shock: body rebounds from shock and sympathetic NS is activated (fight-flight response), increasing resistance to the stressor
What happens during the second stage?
- The body's resistance to stressor rises above normal
- all unnecessary physiological processes are shut down e.g menstruation, digestion, growth
- cortisol is released into bloodstream for energy
What happens during the third stage?
- reached if stressor is not dealt with successfully during resistance stage
- body can't sustain resistance; effects of stressor can no longer be dealt with
- bodily resources depletes, individuals is vulnerable physically and mentally
- characterised by extreme fatigue, high anxiety and symptoms of depression, nightmares, impaired sexual performance
What can stage 3 cause to the body?
Hypertension, heart disease and even death
- one of the first to suggest that stress weakens the body resistance to infection/disease
- identifies biological process associated with stress response
- explains potentially detrimental effects of persistent stress
- does not account for individual differences
- overlooks psychological response
- does not explain why different types of stressor can trigger their own physiological reactions
- primarily based on results of research with animals
What type of process is this model?
The psychological process
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Abnormal Psychology | Burke, Trost, deRoon-Cassini…
Physical Effects of Stress
Get Fit Stay Well Ch. 9 Stress
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
LEGAL STUDIES 1/2 EXAM REVISION
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
General Adaptation Syndrome (GAS)
PARTS OF THE BRAIN
THE NERVOUS SYSTEM