Upgrade to remove ads
The Roles of the Crown & the Houses of Parliament
Terms in this set (14)
What is the structure of parliament?
-two houses (upper and lower)
What are the upper and lower houses of commonwealth parliament?
-the Senate (upper house)
-the house of representatives (lower house)
Who is the crown in commonwealth parliament?
How many members are in the senate?
76 members (12 per state, 2 per territory)
How many members are in the HOR?
151 members, each representing an electorate
What are the upper and lower houses of state parliament?
-the legislative council (upper house)
-the legislative assembly (lower house)
Who is the crown in state parliament?
How many members are in the legislative council?
How many members are in the legislative assembly?
What are the roles of parliament? (MERF)
for peace, order and good governance of Aus
establishing Parliamentary committees
representing the people
formation of government
and the checking of its actions
What is the role of HOR? (MFRC)
- most laws are initiated in this house
- party with most members in lower house form government
represent the people
- reflects the current views of the people through regular elections
controls government expenditure
- only the HOR can pass money bills related to taxation & appropriation
What is the role of the senate? (ISH)
- bills may be started in the upper house (except for money bills)
- protect the rights of the State's through equal representation for all states in the cw (prevents larger states from dominating smaller states)
House of Review
- reviews legislation passed by lower house & can amend/reject proposed laws eg. GST
What is the role of the crown? (ARROA)
acts as head of state
- gives or withholds for bills
- to appoint a pm/premier if there is a hung parliament
opens and closes parliamentary sessions
appoints the executive council
What is the role of the Vic parliament? (MERF)
-same as cw parliament, just change terminology to suit vic parliament
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Section 109 of the AUS constitution
Division of Powers
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
VA/US Govt Ch 10 Study Guide
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Parliament & Courts Responding to Law-Reform
Role of the VLRC