Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Chemistry - Moles and Mass
Moles and Mass
Terms in this set (15)
What is the SI unit for mass?
> Gravitational pull = > weight. Does this mean there is a change in mass?
What are the mass of atoms + subatomic particles measured in?
1 Da = ?
1 AMU (atomic mass unit)
What are the steps in calculating Formula Masses/Molecular Masses?
1. Write Empirical Formula of the compound.
2. Write numbers of each atom in the formula.
3. Insert atomic mass for each atom.
4. Calculate total mass for each element and ass up total mass. Express in Da.
What is Molecular and Formula mass used for?
Molecular: Covalent Compounds
Formula: Ionic Compounds
Often Ionic compounds have water attached to them in their crystal structure. E.g. copper sulphate pentahydrate
What is the mole?
A way to count the number of anything that is extremely small - like atoms.
The relative size of a mole is 602 sextillion. True or False?
The weight of 1 mole of a substance expressed in grams.
The Molar Mass of a compound = the formula mass in grams per mole. True or False?
What are the steps in calculating molar mass?
1. Write the correct formula.
2. Calculate the formula mass in amu (Da)
3. Convert units to grams per mole (g/mol)
How do you determine the number of moles?
No. of moles - mass of substance (g)/ molar mass (m)
Every element within a molecule does not represent a certain %age of the total mass. True or False?
How do you calculate the Empirical + Molecular Formulas from Percent Composition?
1. Calculate no. of moles of each element within a molecule of a given mass.
2. Find the simplest whole number ratio of elements (EF)
3. Determine the molecular formula.
Sets found in the same folder
factors affecting ionisation energy
Lewis Dot Structures and the Octet Rule
Other sets by this creator
Chemistry - Chemical Reactions
Chemistry - Intermolecular Forces
Other Quizlet sets
Health Unit 5 Lesson 25 Vocabulary
Chapter 9 Quiz