Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (24)
Forcing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to move to missions or reserves is an example of which government Policy?
(Establishment of missions or reserves where Aboriginal andTorres Strait Islanders were confined to live)
The term culture can be described as?
1- Biologically Determined
4- Constructed and learned
4- Constructed and learned
Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
Determinants of health
- Historical Determinants
- Political Determinants
- Cultural Determinants
- Social Benefits
- Public Services
Global Social Determinants of Health Definition
The social determinants of health are the conditions in which people are born, grow, live, work and age, including the health system.
How are Global Social Determinants of Health shaped
By the distribution of money, power and resources at global, national and local levels.
Global Social Determinants of Health
- Social gradient
- Early Life
- Social exclusion
- Social support
Social determinants of Health for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
1. Racism and marginalisation
2. Family separation
3. Land - access to traditional
4. Trauma and stress
5. education and training
6. Housing and infrastructure
7. Employment and income
8. Social class
10. Incarceration and the justice system
11. Access to community resources
Communicating with Aboriginal People
- Yarning is an effective way to engage with Aboriginal people.
- Health practitioners need to be patient, honest, open and authentic.
Clinical yarning involves three interrelated areas:
• The social yarn
• The diagnostic yarn
• The management yarn
Being aware that there are differences between people
To acknowledge and incorporate (as much as possible) these differences into care provision
The ability of health professionals and systems to provide care to patients with diverse values, beliefs and behaviours
This is achieved if the recipient of care feels that cultural beliefs and values were respected within the interaction
Delivering culturally safe care
- Holistic, free of bias and racism
- Challenges belief based upon assumption
- Respectful for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Advocate for, and act to facilitate, access to quality and culturally safe health services
- Recognise the importance of family, community, partnership and collaboration in the healthcare decision-making
Aspect of holistic health For Aboriginals
• Traditional diets
• Traditional healing
Primary health care is?
- Health promotion
- Prevention (public health)
- Early intervention
- Treating acute conditions
- Management of chronic conditions
The principles of Primary Health Care
- Health is a fundamental right
- Inequities in health status both within and between countries is unacceptable
- Community participation in planning and implementation of health care is a right and a duty
Ongoing Issues with PHC in Australia
- Diversity and distance (Access)
- Approach to treatment
- Population mobility
- Kinship connections and responsibilities
What is Intersectoral Collaboration?
Frequently refers to the collective actions involving more than one specialised agency, performing different roles for a common purpose.
Aspects of Intersectoral Collaboration?
- Those managing health
- Social services
- Environmental planning
- Local government
Students also viewed
HLSC120 - Indigenous Health & Culture
HLSC 120 assessment 3 - test
Other sets by this creator
Para107 Exam Study
Important Medical Terminology
Discuss the cause-and-effect relationship between competition and monopolies and oligopolies.
According to Hochschild’s second shift explanation, gender equity in the home does not exist. Why do men, on average, still do less housework than women? Do attitudes about masculinity have anything to do with this? Do women naturally feel inclined to do the housework, given their role as nurturers and caretakers? How might gender stereotypes contribute to inequality in the household?
Sociologists claim the average American watches television seven hours a day, yet some students say they never watch TV. How could you account for this fact? Remember to refer to what you learned in discussing this question.
Give one reason why the gap between men’s and women’s salaries persists.
Recommended textbook solutions
Human Resource Management
John David Jackson, Patricia Meglich, Robert Mathis, Sean Valentine
Anderson's Business Law and the Legal Environment, Comprehensive Volume
David Twomey, Marianne Jennings, Stephanie Greene
Information Technology Project Management: Providing Measurable Organizational Value
Jack T. Marchewka
Other Quizlet sets
Nervous System Review ; PCAT
14.2 Climate Cycles