Four years ago I created Quizlet in my living room as a way to study French more efficiently. Today, it's easily world's largest flashcard studying site (despite what others say :) ), with over 1 million unique visitors per month and the world's largest database of flashcards, with over 42 million terms entered into 1.5 million sets. We also have visitors from 215 different countries every day, and literally thousands of testimonials from happy users. Above is our original logo.
Some of the highlights along the way:
- On March 13, 2006, I wrote:
Woohoo! Quizlet is about to pass 50 users. It's great that 16 of you guys are in my French class :). I've been weeding out little bugs here and there...
- A month and a half later, I wrote:
Quizlet feature development is coming to an end. It has been successfully demoed for a lot of people and may be reaching its release stage in the next stage.
- Of course, Quizlet feature development has never stopped and it still took another 9 months to launch the website in January 2007. Here's the blog post from launch day. Below is a screenshot of an early version of Quizlet (it still looks pretty similar!)
The time we raised $1,080 for low-income schools across the country in our Quizlet Queries for Quid campaign.
Here's a look back at our second birthday.
- Me getting into MIT partly as a result of Quizlet and my interview with the MIT Alumni magazine, Spectrum.
- Getting on national television with the Early Show in April 2008.
- We recently launched Quizlet images, and we're still working on them, but I think they're pretty cool. How well do you know your U.S. President portraits?
Now, an announcement. Yesterday I signed on Dave Margulius, who has been working with me on Quizlet as an investor and advisor for the past couple years, to be CEO of Quizlet. We now have an office in San Francisco with a few people working on Quizlet every day. It's great to have Dave on the team to help grow Quizlet as a business and a great piece of software. Quizlet has great plans for improvement and growth in the next year, so stay tuned.
Alright, that's all for now, hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
-Andrew Sutherland, founder of Quizlet