I just made some great updates to the Quizmarklet. Here's what it can now do:
- User-contributed definitions. Before, it was just using the (excellent) WordNet dictionary, but I have now expanded it to use the ever-expanding word lists from Quizlet's users. It only uses words that are in sets open to everyone. User-contributed definitions are marked specially with yellow
- It now has better handling of plural words - so it will pickup on "matrices" as a definition for "matrix" and "cherries" for "cherry."
- Gmail support! I managed to wade through the jungle of Gmail's code enough find and correct the problem. The solution - appending a tag to a
- Supporting Gmail also means supporting pretty much every webpage on the Internet. If you run into a page that doesn't work, send me a note in the comments.
- The bookmarklet itself (the thing you save in your bookmarks bar) now has a version number (1.02). Everyone who used the old version should upgrade by resaving it to their bookmarks bar.
- Various compatibility and display fixes were also added.
An interesting tidbit I forgot to mention last time is that the Quizmarklet records the definitions you save to Quizlet (from the official dictionary only, not the user-contributed stuff). It will then rank the most often chosen definition and show them at the top of the list. This has two benefits: 1) You see the most 'universal' definition first. 2) I get some stat-tracking capabilities to see how I can improve the Quizmarklet.
I still consider the Quizmarklet to be in "pre-release" mode, meaning it's not finished. That means I'm still changing things, and I'm not going to promote it outside of the blog for now. But when it's ready, I think it has a lot of potential to be a part of Quizlet's core functionality/workflow. More on that later...
Lastly, I had some trouble getting it started up in Internet Explorer. I only use Macs, so it's hard for me to dig into the problem. I have access to both version 6 and 7 of IE via Parallels, but I have this strange feeling that they're not behaving like regular IE. I can get the bookmarklet to boot up on the Quizmarklet's page itself, but I can't get it to save into the "Links" bar via dragging. I can circumvent that by going to "Add to Favorites" and selecting the links bar, which saves the Quizmarklet correctly. But then it doesn't seem to function at all. So if anyone has some insight or wouldn't mind helping to discover the problem, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks! I hope you enjoy the new version. Let me know how it goes for you, as always.