Upgrade to remove ads
CCT 109 - Intro to new media
Terms in this set (25)
What is technology?
Technology is the bringing together of social institutions, a way to accomplish goals in a successful, reputable fashion.
What is media?
Technology and institutions that allow a given culture to ''select'' , store and process data.
Why do we have the media we have?
media problematization: media are designed to solve a perceived problem.
Reasons to study new media?
1) the study of communication, info & knowledge: how do we know what we know?
2) the study of power and capital: how are media used in the distribution of wealth and power?
3) the study of worldview: why do we have specific values, beliefs and opinions?
in ORAL culture, everything known is:
- collected by human perception
stored in the brain, often with the aid of mnemonic devices like stories, songs, poems, myths..etc
processed in individual thoughts and collective conversation
script has (2) important variables
1) the development of writing in relation to speech and it's ability to represent (or stand in place of) something else-- pictograph and alphabet
2) physical variables relating to writing implements and writing surface decide as to the space and time from of the communication (how fast can a message be created, how long do they last...etc)
The internet is defined as?
a technical infrastructure of computers and other digital devices permanently connected through high speed telecommunication networks & the forms of content, communication, and info sharing that occurs through networks
how do we define ''new'' media?
''new'' doesn't necessarily refer to the newness of the media, all technologies were once new (e.g film, radio, tv), new media technologies, services and uses quickly go out of date, ''new'' can be quiet vague
What are the 3 c's of convergence?
1) computing and information technology (IT)
2) communication networks
3) content and digitized media
What is convergence?
1) the combination of different technologies into a single device (ex. the convergence of photography, browsing, downloading on a smartphone)
2) allows multiple tasks to be performed on one single device
What is digital media?
forms of media content that combine and integrate data, text, sound and images of all kinds, are stored in digital formats and are distributed through networks
What does ''manipulable'' mean when referring to digital media?
the media is easily changeable and adaptable at all stages of creation
What does ''networkable'' mean when referring to digital media?
it is easily shared through large numbers of users simultaneously across enormous distances
What does ''dense'' mean when referring to digital media?
very large amounts of digital info can be stored in small physical spaces ex: USB flash drive)
What does ''compressible'' mean when referring to digital media?
the amount of digital info that can be reduce dramatically through compression and decomposed when needed
What does ''impartial'' mean when referring to digital media?
digital info is indifferent to how it is represented, who owns or created it, or how it is used
3 elements to thinking about new media
1) the ability to communicate
2) how we communicate to develop and use these devices
3) the social arrangements and organizations that form around these devices
What is packet switching?
long messages that can be broken down into smaller 'packets' before they are sent, each packet is transmitted individually in different routes to its destination and is recompiled into the original message once arrived
Examples of packet switching?
WANs (wide area networks) allows people in the broad area to communicate
LANS (local area networks) allows people in the local area to communicate
ARPANET (advanced research projects agency) was one of the world's first operational packet switching networks
What are hypertexts?
allows for the linkage of information
What is the term 'digital natives' referring to?
People who have been born and brought up interacting with technology such as the internet, cell phones
What are the Social implications of new media?
1) digitization: the increasing reliance on converting info into a digital format so it can be viewed or listened to on digital devices, digitization makes it easy to preserve, access and share info
2) globalization: the process of interaction and integration among the people, companies and government of nations around the world
3) digital divide: global differences in access to computers and the internet
allowing for inequalities to form due to differences in info and access and literacy skills
4) identification: overall increasing importance of individuality
What is web 2.0?
any websites in which the contributions to and evolution of the site happens through the web, via the users of the site
ex: blogs, forums, google map, wikipedia
Web 2.0 core principles
decentralized in control
user focused and easy for new users to use
expected to evolve and change over time as users make new modifications to the sites
What is communication?
The overcoming of natural barriers to facilitate the movement of people, goods, and culture
Recommended textbook explanations
Myers' Psychology for AP
David G Myers
Psychology: Principles in Practice
Spencer A. Rathus
Understanding Psychology, Student Edition
Richard A. Kasschau
Arlene Lacombe, Kathryn Dumper, Rose Spielman, William Jenkins
Sets found in the same folder
CCT109- The history of new media
CCT 109- approaches to new media
Chapter 13: Operations and Supply Chain Management
CCT test 2
Sets with similar terms
media and society midterm, MDSC
Chapter 1 - cct109
VCE Media Unit 1
Other sets by this creator
CCT 314 - MIDTERM
OB Chapter 13 Organizational Structure
OB Chapter 10 Organizational Culture
OB Chapter 12: Decision Making, Creativity, and Et…
Other Quizlet sets
BBC Documentary 2015 Pleasure and Pain 2011 Docume…
Chapter 16 - Therapies
Apologetics: Panel Project Questions