Get ahead with a $300 test prep scholarship
| Enter to win by Tuesday 9/24
Kine - Ch 1 - Introduction to Kinesiology
Terms in this set (12)
Why is Kinesiology one of the fastest growing majors in higher education? (3)
- Career opportunities expanded for college-trained professionals with in-depth knowledge of scientific and humanistic bases of physical activity.
- No longer just physical education departments for teachers and coaches; it is an academic base for an assortment of careers.
- Increasing realization that physical activity deserves to be studied as seriously and systematically as other disciplines in higher education.
Other fields of science found in Kinesiology (3)
- Sociology: the study of the development, structure, and functioning of human society.
- Anthropology: the study of human societies and cultures and their development.
a body of knowledge organized around a certain theme or focus that learned people consider worthy of study.
Subdiscipline (in Kine)
often related to a broader, more established "parent" discipline, such as psychology, physiology, sociology, biology, history, or philosophy.
People learn kinesiology in three different but related ways:
1. Physical activity experience (learning to perform physical activity)
2. Scholarship of physical activity (learning about physical activity)
3. Professional experience in physical activity (learning by implementing or designing physical activity programs)
Technical Definition of Physical Activity:
Activity that is
- Directed toward achieving an identifiable goal.
Examples of Physical Activity
- Exercise (training, health-related, cosmetic)
- Fundamental movements (carrying, catching, jumping, kicking, running, throwing, and walking, etc.)
Technical definition of Physical Activity does NOT include human movements that are
- Involuntary or
- Performed aimlessly and without a specific purpose.
Other Labels for Kinesiology (9)
- Exercise and sport science
- Human performance
- Health and human performance
- Health and Kinesiology
- Human movement science
- Sport studies
- Exercise science
- Physical education
Holistic Nature of Kinesiology
- Human beings are holistic creatures with interrelated cognitions, emotions, bodies, and souls.
- One must go beyond the physical aspects of physical activity and include the cognitive, emotional, and spiritual aspects of physical activity.
Reality of Our Population Trends (4)
- Aging Population
- Inactive Populations
- Great need for education, services, professionals
- Solve a problem - Help others - Get Paid
- Screen Time