Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (8)
- father of sociology; other fathers built of his ideas
- coined 'sociology'
- positive philosophy: law of 3 stages of social development
What is the occupy movement?
- protests around the world against social and economic injustice bc of of modern capitalism
- highlighted the concentration of wealth in the 1% of people
- links to Marx theory of social injustice
what is social theory?
- involves ideas, arguments, etc., about social phenomena relevant to other disciplines of the social sciences and humanities; closer to philosophy
- deals with what "ought to be" to create change
- sociology however, provides explanations
What are some of the origins of sociology?
- the enlightenment movement and counter enlightenment
- Industrial revolution; tension in England
- French revolution
- A period of rapid growth in the use of machines in manufacturing and production that began in the mid-1700s
- transformed America and Europe society; growth of capitalism
- people mass migrated from rural towns
- people saw monarch ruling as infringing on their liberty and equality
- birth place of democracy
- bloody aftermath called Terror - example of revolutions causing social disruption
What are the main ideas of course of positive philosophy (law of three stages)?
1. Theological stage - everything explained through supernatural power
2. Metaphysical stage - supernatural is present but not as directly involved; religion and science coexist
3. Positive stage - explanations based on positive or scientific knowledge only
Who are the founding fathers of sociology?
Karl Marx, Max Weber, Emile Durkheim and Auguste Comte also played a role
Sets found in the same folder
MODULE 3 - Marx 1
MODULE 4 - Marx 2
MODULE 5 - CHARLOTTE PERKINS GILMAN
Other sets by this creator
Liking, Loving, and Connecting