Staff Software Engineer, Team X
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Every month more than 50 million active learners from 130 countries practice and master more than 300 million study sets on every conceivable topic and subject. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
Team X is a newly formed team that's focused on making Quizlet even more effective for learning and to extend Quizlet to new learning use-cases. The team will create new learning experiences and invest in foundational building blocks such as a knowledge graph and smart question generator.
Quizlet is a leading company in consumer learning technology with proven traction and huge growth ahead. Our business model is robust with two strong revenue streams — advertisements and paid subscriptions. Our ads business allows us to offer amazing study tools to millions of students around the globe for free. And our premium subscriptions give students and teachers the ability to create custom content and access learning analytics tools. Come help us scale one of the fastest growing and highest quality consumer learning brands, as we develop innovative simple-to-use study tools that help students everywhere.
- Turn prototypes for new learning experiences into robust production applications.
- Architect services and interfaces among frontend, data science and platform concerns.
- Advise and mentor other engineers on the team.
- Participate in design, code, and architecture reviews.
- Investigate new technologies that may be of use to the team.
- Design services for performant application of machine-learned models
- Help learners develop understanding of complex terms (e.g. cause/effect)
- Collaborate in refactoring services to support the new modes of learning
- Revise data models in Spanner to support new learning features
- 6+ years experience building web applications
- Experience working with both client-side and server-side technologies
- Proficiency with React and browser technologies
- Proficiency with server API design and data modeling
- Proficiency with service architecture
- Excitement about the impact your work could have on the lives of students and teachers every day
- Experience teaching, tutoring or designing curriculum
- Experience with NLP
- Experience with data science or machine learning
- Polyglot developer (e.g. Java, NodeJS, Python)
- Proficiency with Kubernetes
Quizlet’s Team Culture
We are here to make education better and more accessible. We strive to improve the lives of students and teachers at every stage and in every setting. We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do. We sweat the details and take personal accountability and pride in anything that carries the Quizlet name. We speak up, jump in and work with each other to fix problems, and never say "that's not my job." We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!