Senior Backend Engineer
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Every month more than 50 million active learners from 130 countries practice and master more than 300 million study sets on every conceivable topic and subject. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
As part of the Core Backend Services team, you will you will redesign parts of the backend and build services to help scale Quizlet . Quizlet continues to add millions of users every day. To support the next 100 million users we’re building highly-scalable back-end services in the areas of content-management, communication, payments, search, and many more. This team will own this migration and pave the way for other teams to build new services.
Quizlet is a leading company in consumer learning technology with proven traction and huge growth ahead. Our business model is robust with two strong revenue streams — advertisements and paid subscriptions. Our ads business allows us to offer amazing study tools to millions of students around the globe for free. And our premium subscriptions give students and teachers the ability to create custom content and access learning analytics tools. Come help us scale one of the fastest growing and highest quality consumer learning brands, as we develop innovative simple-to-use study tools that help students everywhere.
- Dig into existing code and make it more efficient and scalable.
- Own all aspects of the service lifecycle including design, development, operation, and continual improvement.
- Work collaboratively within a small team creating services that other teams depend on
- Participate in design, code, and architecture reviews
- Investigate new technologies that may be of use to the team
- Build payment services to handle millions of dollars a week for incoming and outgoing transactions in a challenging global context.
- Build and scale full-text search capabilities with ElasticSearch over billions of items in our content graph
- Add write scalability and global active/active (high-availability) support to large-scale content services handling on the order of 100 billion items increasing by billions a month
- Make our content services more flexible and agile for our application developers and users, allowing more types of media and content (for example, audio, video, AR)
- Backend server experience in JVM (Java, Scala, Kotlin), Python or Node
- Experience building services using Docker/Kubernetes or something similar
- 5+ years of experience building highly interactive websites
- Experience scaling a large-scale website
- Experience building stateful APIs using a range of database and caching technologies
- Excitement about the impact your work could have on the lives of students and teachers every day
Quizlet’s Team Culture
We are here to make education better and more accessible. We strive to improve the lives of students and teachers at every stage and in every setting. We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do. We sweat the details and take personal accountability and pride in anything that carries the Quizlet name. We speak up, jump in and work with each other to fix problems, and never say "that's not my job." We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!