Site Reliability Engineering Manager
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Every month more than 50 million active learners from 130 countries practice and master more than 300 million study sets on every conceivable topic and subject. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
Quizlet's Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team is responsible for ensuring that the Quizlet product is delivered to our users. We do this by partnering with micro- and macro-service teams and product pods to help them use tools and best practices to deliver their parts of the product with the right balance of autonomy and accountability. We pay special attention to shared resources like data stores, deployment frameworks, visibility tools, networking, and load balancing. We are a team of engineers who all sit somewhere between 70% Software Engineer (SWE) 30% Systems Administrator (SA) and 30% SWE 70% SA. We are comfortable working on each others code and fearless to jump into any part of the product. Our motto is "Production First", and are deeply engaged in a plethora of engineering challenges to help a quickly growing company be successful.
Quizlet is a leading company in consumer learning technology with proven traction and huge growth ahead. Our business model is robust with two strong revenue streams — advertisements and paid subscriptions. Our ads business allows us to offer amazing study tools to millions of students around the globe for free. And our premium subscriptions give students and teachers the ability to create custom content and access learning analytics tools. Come help us scale one of the fastest growing and highest quality consumer learning brands, as we develop innovative simple-to-use study tools that help students everywhere.
On any given day, Site Reliability Engineering Manager (SRM) could be:
- Growing and managing teams, coaching and developing engineers with an emphasis on high Emotional Quotient (EQ) interactions
- Driving prioritization discussions and decisions that balance SRE-driven and stakeholder-driven needs, reliability and business velocity
- Supporting SREs in scheduling and performing day-to-day activities, steady-state maintenance, development, and on-call
- Owning, aligning, and curating the SRE roadmap
- Partnering with product and engineering leaders to promote engineering practices that foster autonomous, accountable engineering teams
- Supporting SREs in aligning on technical decisions
- Understanding of, and willingness to align with, the principles of Servant Leadership
- 5+ Years of Experience directly leading engineering teams with a focus on reliable production service delivery alongside execution on the full employee life cycle
- Able to keep up with, and add collaborative value to, highly technical conversations among domain experts such as SREs, SWEs, SAs, Product Managers, Program Managers, Data Scientists and Analysts, Security Engineers, Finance, User Operations, and Corporate Engineers
- Experience owning a multi-quarter technical roadmap, aligning with stakeholders, and driving day-to-day execution of that roadmap amidst shifting business and technical needs
- Experience facilitating the technical, business, and financial relationship with at least one of the major cloud vendors
- Self-awareness of technical capabilities and a clear understanding of learning opportunities
- Managed Managers, supporting them through employee life cycle
- Strong technical abilities in both the SWE (conversant in at least 1 programming language) and SA (comfortable with Linux, containers, visibility tools) needs of a quickly growing production system
- Experience with GCP as a cloud vendor
Quizlet’s Team Culture
We are here to make education better and more accessible. We strive to improve the lives of students and teachers at every stage and in every setting. We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity.
Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do. We sweat the details and take personal accountability and pride in anything that carries the Quizlet name. We speak up, jump in and work with each other to fix problems, and never say "that's not my job." We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!