How to use Quizlet Live
Quizlet Live is a free in-class game where students work in teams to learn study sets on Quizlet. Teams work together to correctly match the terms and definitions in a study set. The first team to match all of their terms and definitions wins!
To begin a game of Quizlet Live, you'll need:
- A study set with at least six unique terms and definitions
- At least four students
- A computer, tablet or mobile device for each student
- 10 to 20 minutes of class time
- Students work together in randomized teams of three or four
- Teams race to match all of a set's terms and definitions
- Incorrect answers reset a team's progress to zero
- The first team to match all terms correctly in a row wins
- At the end of the game, teams can see which questions they answered correctly and incorrectly
- Set up your computer to display your screen to your class
- Make sure each student has a computer, tablet or mobile device with an Internet connection
- On your computer, choose a set with at least six unique terms and definitions
- Select Live
- On the next screen, select the first play style, Definitions and Terms. If you're an upgraded Quizlet Teacher, you can choose any play style
- Select Create game
- Instruct your students to go to https://quizlet.live on their devices and enter the six-digit code displayed on your screen
- When all students have joined and entered their names, preview your randomized team assignments. To re-shuffle teams, select Shuffle teams
- Ask your teams to move next to each other so they can work together
- Select Create game to begin
Upgraded Quizlet Teachers have access to additional customization options for Quizlet Live games.
- Creating custom teams
- Enabling audio in games
- Continuous gameplay
- Starting games with diagram sets
Creating custom teams
- Choose a study set and begin a game
- Once all of your students have joined, you'll see a pop-up where you can choose to have Quizlet randomly assign teams or select Or create your own custom teams
- You'll see numbers for each team and blank rows for student names. Assign team numbers to each of your students, who will see a prompt on their device to enter their team number
- When students enter their team numbers, you'll see their names show up underneath each team name
After everyone has entered their team number, you can start the game.
While your students are finding their teams, open the Options menu. To enable audio, select On. Your students will then be able to hear audio read back to them as they're playing.
After a team wins and Quizlet cycles through your students' correct and incorrect answers, you'll have the option to end the game, start another game with the same set or start a game with a new set.
Starting a game with a diagram set
Please read this article for a detailed overview of starting games with diagram sets for your students.
Why don't I see the option to start Quizlet Live games?
Live is available for all teachers on Quizlet to use. If you don't see Live as an option, it's possible your account doesn't reflect that you're a teacher. Please go to your Settings page and check the Account type section to make sure your account is listed as a teacher.
If this option doesn't show up, please let us know so we can update your account!
Is Quizlet Live free?
Yes, Quizlet Live is free for all teachers to use. When setting up a game, make sure you select the play style Definitions and Terms. Premium play styles are marked with a blue star in the upper right corner and are only available to upgraded Quizlet Teachers.
Why does Live say I need six unique terms to start?
Live requires at least six unique term/definition pairs in a study set to start a game. If there are duplicates of the same term or definition in a set, they will automatically be removed to avoid confusion.
For instance, if you have
banana = yellow
banana = fruit
lemon = yellow
all three of these pairs will be removed to avoid confusing duplicate answer choices.