5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Edward Jenner
- Distinguish between simple and differential biological stains and list the four major steps of the Gram stain.
- cell membrane
- a thin, flexible barrier around a cell; regulates what enters and leaves the cell
- b developed a vaccine for smallpox
- c the study of microorganisms
- d process that does not require oxygen
- e A simple stain is one dye. A differential stain is two different colored dyes .Four steps: Crystal Violet, Iodine treatment, Decolorization, and Counter Stain
5 Multiple choice questions
- Chemically defined have a know molecular formula
- production of a chemical compound by a living organism
- The germ theory of Diseases was created out of studies showing that showed human diseases arise from infection, not such things as personality or religious punishment. Koch used the theory to create 4 postuates: isolate the organism & identified, grew it, gave it to new host, and reisolated it & identified it again. These postulates helped established the discovery of Bacillius anthracis- better know as Anthrax.
- An organism that makes ATP by aerobic respiration if oxygen is present but that switches to fermentation under anaerobic conditions.
- A rigid structure that surrounds the cells of plants and most bacteria
5 True/False questions
spontaneous generation → the idea that living things come from nonliving things
List some of the types of classification systems and their differences. What is a domain and what are they? → Enrichment media- is used to jump start bacteria growth;Selective - only enables one bacteria to grow; Differential- allows bacteria to show different reactions
Explain the basic shapes and groupings of bacteria (morphological characteristics) → Lag Phase, Exponential Phase, Stationary Phase, Death Phase
binary fission → a form of asexual reproduction in single-celled organisms by which one cell divides into two cells of the same size
mesophile → Organism that prefers moderate temperatures (20-45C); we are the perfect temp for these organisms