5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Plug and play
- Operating systems
- Graphical user interfaces
- a An operating system with graphical symbols representing files, programs, and documents.
- b Systems software that provides an interface between the user or application program and the computer hardware.
- c A combination of hardware and software that creates a buffer between an internal network and the Internet to prevent unauthorized access.
- d Operating system developed by AT&T. It is considered portable, meaning it can run on just about any hardware platform.
- e Technology that allows a hardware component to be attached to a computer so that it is automatically configured by the operating system, without user intervention.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Devices that protect electronic equipment from variations in electric current.
- Microsoft's Disk Operating System; originally introduced with the IBM PC in 1981.
- A battery power source that provides electric current during a power outage.
- The process of starting a computer.
- Computer ports that can transmit data eight bits at a time; usually used by a printer.
5 True/False questions
Hackers → Expert computer users who invade someone else's computer either for personal gain or simply for the satisfaction of being able to do it.
Algorithm → A set of clearly defined, logical steps that solve a problem.
Application software → Also called productivity software; helps you perform a specific task such as word processing, spreadsheets, and so forth.
Troubleshooting → Analyzing problems to correct faults in the system.
Utility software → Systems software that performs tasks related to managing the computer's resources, file management, diagnostics, and other specialized chores.