5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Distinguish between chemically defined, complex and living media.
- cell wall
- a A rigid structure that surrounds the cells of plants and most bacteria
- b whip-like structure used for motility
- c Chemically defined have a know molecular formula
- d injecting a person with a small dose of a virus to help build up defenses to a disease
- e the scientific study of how living things are classified
5 Multiple choice questions
- a type of light microscope that transforms subtle changes in light waves passing through the specimen into differences in light intensity, best for observing intracellular structures.
- French chemist and biologist whose discovery that fermentation is caused by microorganisms resulted in the process of pasteurization (1822-1895); he cured his family with theory and thier rabies
- discovered the first antibacterial agent, a compound effective against the spirochete that causes syphilis
- ability to glow under ultraviolet light
- Coccus, rod or bacillius, curved or spiral
5 True/False questions
chemotherapy → bacteria that survives in temperatures from 45 C-110 C; grows in very hot conditions
Salk → short, hairlike protein structures on the surface of some bacteria
psychrophile → An organism with a growth temperature optimum of 15 degrees Celsius or lower and a maximum growth temperature below 20 degrees Celsius.
What is Bergey's Manual? → microbiologist started to organize bacteria
6. Define the importance of the scientific method with respect to the theory of spontaneous generation → Spontaneous generation is a theory that claims living organisms derive from non living or decomposing matter. In order to test this theory you must go through the scientific method to test it. First have your hypothesis then conduct the experiment, record your results, and finally have a conclusion or proof of your theory.