Upgrade to remove ads
2.1.2 (o) Properties and functions of fibrous proteins
Terms in this set (11)
What is the structure of fibrous proteins?
- long and insoluble due to a high proportion of amino acids with hydrophobic R-groups in their primary structures
- limited range of amino acids, usually with small R-groups
- repetitive primary structure resulting in organised structures
What are the properties of fibrous proteins?
- tend to make strong, long molecules which are not folded into complex 3-D shapes like globular proteins
Where is keratin found?
Hair, skin and nails
What is the structure of keratin?
- large proportion of sulfur-containing amino acid, cysteine
- many disulfide bridges (cause unpleasant smell when burnt)
What determines the flexibility of keratin?
The degree of disulfide bonding - hair contains fewer bonds so it's more flexible than nails which have more bonds.
What are the properties of keratin?
What is the structure of elastin?
Quaternary protein made from many stretchy molecules called tropoelastin.
Where is elastin found and why is it suitable?
It is found in elastic fibres, such as in the walls of blood vessels and in the alveoli in the lungs in order to give them the flexibility to expand when needed but return to their normal size.
What are the properties of collagen?
Where is collagen found?
Connective tissue found in skin, tendons, ligaments and in the nervous system
What is the structure of collagen?
Three polypeptides wound together in a long and strong rope-like structure.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
2.1.2 (e) Synthesis and breakdowns of sa…
Random Genetic engineering engineering questions
2.1.2 (f) and (g) Structure of starch, g…
Fibrous and Globular Protein
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
AP Bio: Protein Quiz
c.1 SL biocards
Chapter 3 Protein Structure and Function
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
2.1.3 (g) Protein synthesis - transcription and tr…
2.3 Understanding the role and importance of stake…
2.2 Understanding management decision making
2.1 Understanding management, leadership…
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Language and the Brain part 2
Essentials of New Jersey Real Estate 14th Ed - Rev…