Upgrade to remove ads
Social Democratic - Theory of Education
Terms in this set (6)
Role of education
Key tool in modern society for providing equality of opportunity that can fairly allocate those who are the most able to the most important positions in society regardless of their class/gender/ethnicity - meritocracy
What policies would they support?
1. Any that redress the balance of inequalities of poverty or racism
2. Compensatory Education - everyone participate and equal chance of success
Closely linked to what types of policies?
Labour policies and heavily influenced government educational policies between 1944 and 1979
Social democratic sociologist?
Middle class children more likely to get places in grammar schools and so a new system should be implemented to provide greater equality of opportunity
Social Democratic Criticisms
1. Changes to the systems structure hasn't improved the inequality of opportunity
2. Marxists believe they're not radical enough
3. The New Right believe there is not a direct link between spending in education and raising standards
4. The New Right believe state control and funding is inefficient
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Marxist - Theory of Education
New Right - Theory of Education
Feminist - Theory of Education
Functionalist - Theory of Education
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Sociology - Perspectives and Vocation's - Topic 1…
Sociology 12: Education and Religion
Sociology - Education
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Intro to Accounting - Statement of Profit or Loss
Intro to Accounting - Statement of Financial Posit…
Intro to Accounting
Postmodern - Theory of Education
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Gov Chapter 1
APCompG&P Lesson 3: Political Culture, Political S…
Gov 201 Final Exam
COM 423 Final