Upgrade to remove ads
Poorly answered exam questions
Terms in this set (11)
Explain two ways in which a business could reduce the energy usage of its manufacturing systems. (4 marks)
Identify energy hungry manufacturing systems (1) and replace with energy efficient systems (1)
Reduce the number of components in the product (1) reducing the energy used to assemble it. (1)
Evaluate the issues associated with reusing products to minimise waste (4 marks)
- Less raw material wastage
- Reused products will appeal more to environmentally aware consumers
- Less new products will be sold
- need a system to refill products
- need a workable collection system.
Explain how a company benefits from carrying out a life cycle assessment on its product (4 marks)
- Reduce volume or range of materials (1) enabling materials costs to reduce (1)
- Reduce the amount of energy required to design and manufacture product (1) reducing energy costs (1)
What does carbon offsetting mean? (2 marks)
The development of clean/carbon reducing technology (1) to reduce emissions. (1)
Discuss the issues associated with the use of biomass and biofuels as alternative sources of energy (8 marks)
- Carbon neutral (1) means that the same amount of energy is used as released from combustion (1)
- Use of trees as a biomass source uses much less energy than field crops.
- It can be used to power cars
- biomass is cheap, comes from agricultural sources.
- fuel used to power agricultural machinery to process it generates carbon emissions.
- Biofuels are not as efficient as petrol fuels (1), so more fuels is needed to carry out the same task as petrol fuel.
- Limited availability (1) as technology is new (1)
- Vehicles need modifications to use the fuel.
Give four advantages of miniaturisation
2. less energy needed to power the product.
3. Products become more lightweight
4. Reduces manufacturing costs
Give three disadvantages of miniaturisation.
1. Easy to lose
2. increased precision needed to manufacture
3. Harder to repair.
Give 6 ways in which companies could reduce the environmental impact of their transport needs.
1. Reduce packaging
2. speed limiters
3. drive more carefully
4. more streamlined vehicles.
5. use different types of transport (rail, shipping)
6. use carbon neutral fuels
7. reduce space product takes up
Evaluate the use of nuclear power as a major source of energy production (10 marks)
1. low pollution
2. modern reactors are safer
3. produces a small amount of waste
4. large amount of energy produced
1. Public distrust with safety of plants
2. possibility of catastrophic failure
3. short life span of plants
4. fuel is hazardous to dispose of
5. Need a supply of water nearby
6. damage to the environment of mining uranium
7. terrorist attacks could have devastating effects.
8. potential to create nuclear weapons
Discuss the issues (pros) of repair vs replacement from a consumer's point of view (6 marks)
positives of Repair
1. some companies provide strong after sales support
2. Some people have sentimentality to products
3. People may have saved data on products
4. Appeals to environmentally aware customers
Positives of replacement:
1. new features available
2. Generally quicker than repair
3. reliability of a new product.
How can the environmental impact of production be reduced at these stages: Raw materials, manufacture, distribution, use, end of life
1. use recycled materials
2. Use materials that cause less environmental impact.
3. use a small amount of raw materials in product.
1. use low energy manufacturing systems
2. reduce range of materials used
1. reduce distance to customers
2. Use lightweight packaging
1. Ensure the product has a low energy usage
2. Increase the number of replaceable parts
End of life
1. use recyclable materials
2. reduce waste to landfill.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
02 Topic 2 Resource Management and Susta…
Topic 2: Resource management and sustainable produ…
IB DT Topic 2
Terms and Terminologies 4
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Mekong Delta, Vietnam
Christchurch, New Zealand case study