Upgrade to remove ads
An Inspector Calls - Characters
Terms in this set (8)
- a wealthy businessman, slightly lower in social class than his wife.
- Arthur Birling's wife. She is very concerned with social appearances and position.
- their daughter. Sheila starts the play as quite an immature character however this changes throughout the play. She stands up to her parents towards the end.
- their son. Eric is the youngest in the play and lives a life of parties and socialising. He is described as 'half-shy, half-assertive.'
- Sheila's fiancé and from a socially superior family. Seems to reside somewhere between the older generation and the younger generation.
Eva Smith (Daisy Renton)
- Supposedly commits suicide prior to the start of the play. The narrative centres around how each member of the family is responsible in some way for her death. We never meet or see her.
- the maid of the Birlings.
- The police inspector who turns up to question the Birlings and Gerald. Seems almost omniscient (all-knowing) and does not care for the social class of the Birlings. Could be described as Priestley's mouthpiece who supports his socialist views.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
GCSE PRIDE AND PREJUDICE QUOTES
Romeo and Juliet Vocabulary and Quotes
Frankenstein (GCSE English Literature)
Romeo and Juliet Characters
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
An inspector calls- character profiles
A Raisin in the Sun (finals)
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Year 8 - "New Keywords " - Spanish
Year 8-KeyWords for Homework 2