Upgrade to remove ads
Psychological Aspects of Behaviour; The Family, Society and Health
Intro to PPDSH
Terms in this set (16)
Which model states that responsibility for treatment lies with the medical professional?
Give 3 points for what the Biomedical model states?
1) Disease from outside cause internal physical change e.g. virus
2) Individuals not responsible for illnesses due to biological changes out of ones control- ill patients are victims
3) Treatments should be vaccine, surgery, drugs which change physical state of body
True or false for the Biomedical model? Illnesses have both psychological and social consequences AND causes
False- Illnesses may have the consequences but no causes.
Does the Biomedical model state that the mind and body function independent of each other?
What does the biomedical model state about Health and illness?
That you are either one of the twp- there is no inbetween
What is the social science approach model called?
What components is the Biopsychosocial made of?
- Social factors
State some social factors which may affect health?
-Access to healthcare
Why has life expectancy increase in the USA from 48 years in 1900 to 76 in 2000?
- Elimination of infectious diseases i.e. pneumonia, influenza, TB etc
What 7 practices are stated in Belloc et al 1972/3 study?
1) Seep 7/8 hours per day
2) Eating breakfast everyday
3) rarely or never eating between meals
4) regular exercise
6) not smoking
7) being at or near appropriate weight
According to the economic approach what are nearly all deaths called?
- Suicide in the sense that it could have been postponed if resources were invested in prolonging life
What does Beckeers (1976) argue about death?
That to some extent it is self inflicted and could have been postpones if people had carried out good health practices.
Give a disadvantage of the biomedical model?
Ignores effect of lifestyle factors affecting health and illness
Are behavioural factors considered as potential causes of disease in biomedical model?
True or false- Behavioural factos are assessed as part of the diagnosis process using biomedical model?
Give a disadvantage of the biomedical model in terms of physicians?
They may not be concerned with psychosocial issues as its not their responsibility or authority.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Different models of health & Classifications of di…
Historical concepts of health and the beginnings o…
Chapter 1- Health for Life
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Lecture 9: Skin 1
Lecture 2b: Ventricular systems
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
US History Quiz 1
Social Psychology Midterm 2
CSD 545 Exam 1 Example Questions