Upgrade to remove ads
Influence of early attachment on childhood and adult relationships
Terms in this set (13)
John Bowlby - continuity hypothesis + internal working model
Relationship formed with caregiver in early years provides template for future relationships. The type of attachment in infancy will remain constant throughout our lives.
Internal Working model stable/constant beliefs
The self: Are we loveable or not?
Others: Are they trustworthy or not?
Relationsips: What are our expectations about how relationships work?
According to Bowlby + Ainsworth, secure attachment in infancy leads to what characteristics in childhood?
- Closer friendships with peers
- Greater emotional + social competence in adolescence
- More reciprocal friendships
According to Bowlby + Ainsworth, insecurely attachment in infancy leads to what characteristics in childhood?
- Friendships difficulties
- Insecure-avoidant = get bullied
- Insecure-resistant = Be the bullie
Ainsworth research established several different attachment types that shape our adult relationships.Established parenting is deemed critical. Attachment types are...
Secure, Insecure-avoidant and Insecure-resistant
Secure attachment in adult relationships
- Create meaningful, loving relationships
- High self-esteem
Insecure-avoidant attachment in adult relationships
- Problems with intimacy
- Invests little in emotional relationships
- Unwilling to share feelings
Insecure-resistant attachment in adult relationships
- Avoids closeness but wants closeness
- Worries partner doesnt love them
- Distraught when relationship ends
Strength of Influence of early attachment on childhood + adult relationships - Research evidence to support influence of attachment types on childhood relationships
securely attached babies = form best quality childhood relationships
insecurely attached = have relationship difficulties (e.g not having a bestfriend)
Strength of Influence of early attachment on childhood + adult relationships - Research evidence for influence of early attachment on adult relationships.
Hazen + Shaver (1987) 'The love quiz'
From 620 replies
(52%) Secure attachments as a child = Happy, lasting r/ships
(19%) Insecure resistant = worried they werent loved in adulthood
(25%) Avoidant attachments = Feared intimacy
Weakness of Influence of early attachment on childhood + adult relationships - Too deterministic approach to future r/ships
- Suggests all future r/ships are based on factors out of our control, if anything goes wrong in infancy we are doomed!
- people have freewill and behave in completely different ways in r/ships compared to their parents
- Too pessimistic
Weakness of Influence of early attachment on childhood + adult relationships - Reductionist
- While area of research does not reduce relationships right down to influences at the biological level it does reduce it down by focusing purely on parental relationships
- Ignores wider social inf;uences such as early maturity/puberty
Strength of Influence of early attachment on childhood + adult relationships - Practical applications
- IWM + continuity hypothesis stresses importance of caregiver sensitivty in infancy
- Encourages the formation of strong, secure attachment r/ships
- A need for more foster + adoptive parents
Sets found in the same folder
Introduction to attachment
Schaffer's stages of attachment
The role of the father
Lorenz (1935) - Imprinting
Other sets by this creator
Functionalism and religion
Sociology and social policy
Is sociology a science?
Other Quizlet sets
IB HOA World War II Study Guide
Test 1 corrections
Strategic Narrative: Final Exam
Maggie Math Review