Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
28: The Second Battle of St Albans, February 1461
Terms in this set (13)
- 17th February 1461
When was the Second Battle of St Albans?
- To reclaim Henry VI from London
- On the march her troops plundered at will- plundered the possessions of enemies- Grantham and Stamford
Why did Margaret hurry south after her victory at Wakefield in December 1459? What did her troops do on the march? Significance?
1. He was accompanied by the Duke of Norfolk and the Earls of Arundel and Suffolk
2. His army had veterans of the Hundred Years War- including his uncle Lord Fauconberg
3. Modern weapons- handguns, caltrops
4. Warwick had been elected a knight of the Garter on 8th February, so he held the trump card of the person of the king
Why was Warwick confident of victory at the Second Battle of St Albans? 4 reasons- what had Warwick been elected?
- Margaret's troops were met by Warwick's forces north-east of St Albans
Where were Margaret's troops met by Warwick's forces?
- The Lancastrian force moved too quick
Why was Warwick's plan to bombard the Lancastrian thwarted?
- Warwick attempted to rally his troops, but they disbanded quickly
What did Warwick attempt to do in vain after his plan to bombard the Lancastrians failed?
- Warwick and the Yorkists lost
Who lost the battle?
- It was a total and bloody defeat
How could one describe the battle?
- Several Yorkists were captured and executed
What happened to several Yorkists after the battle?
- London was left open to the Lancastrians
- They regained control of Henry VI
What city was abandoned and left open to the Lancastrians? Who did they regain control of?
- "that useful political vegetable"
How did Charles Ross describe Henry VI?
1. She already had Henry VI
2. She probably would not have been welcomed as it was predominantly Yorkist, might have had to fight to get in
3. She could not control her Northern and Scottish army
- Might it have been a mistake as London was wealthy
Why didn't Margaret go to London after the Second Battle of St Albans (3reasons)? Why might it have been a mistake?
- She retreated back to the North
Where did Margaret retreat after her victory at the Second Battle of St Albans?
Sets found in the same folder
15: The First Battle of St Albans, May 1455
32: The Triumph of the Yorkists 1461-71 - 1461
16: The Second Protectorate of York 1455-6
33: The Consolidation of Yorkist Power and the Res…
Other sets by this creator
15: New Monarchy? The Royal Household
14: New Monarchy? Finance and Financial Reforms
13: New Monarchy? Local Government
12: New Monarchy? Regional Councils
Other Quizlet sets
Chapter 38: Healthcare Facility Environment
RT150 Exam 1 Practice