Upgrade to remove ads
CHAPTER 11: PACKAGING AND MATERIALS HANDLING
Terms in this set (35)
1. Product density refers to a product's ____.
weight per volume
2. Which of the following statements is false?
a product's chemical characteristics have little to no influence on the way the product is handled
3. Which of the following statements regarding perishable products is false?
all of the above are true
4. The building blocks concept is associated with which logistics function?
5. ____ refers to materials used for the containment, protection, handling, delivery, and presentation of goods.
6. Each of the following is a shipping hazard that a package may be exposed to except ____.
7. Which of the following is false?
pictures are preferable to words for labeling a product
8. As a general rule, labeling requirements and enforcement tends to be more stringent in ____ countries than in ____ countries.
economically developed; economically developing
9. The Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS) was developed by the ____.
10. Which of the following is not a key piece of classification and labeling information provided by the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS)?
a picture of the chemical or hazardous material
11. Over 80% of customers view packaging as ____.
a major environmental issue
12. Biodegradable plastics cost ____ as much as conventional plastics.
13. Which of the following is not a characteristic of plastic packaging?
lack of versatility
14. Which of the following is not an environmentally-friendly packaging strategy that firms might adopt?
all of the above are strategies
15. ____ systems consider the reverse flow of products, their reuse, and the marketing and distribution of recovered products.
16. How many countries in the world do not currently use the metric system of measurement?
17. Which of the following is not a logistical consequence of packaging inefficiency?
all of the above are logistical consequences
18. What has been described as the "last frontier" of logistics savings opportunities?
19. A "box-maker's certificate" ____.
assures railroads and motor carriers that boxes are sufficiently sturdy to meet their handling requirements
20. What organization regulates the packaging of international air shipments?
International Air Transport Association
21. A unit load involves ____.
consolidation of several units into larger units to improve efficiency in handling and to reduce shipping costs
22. A major advantage of the unit load is ____.
mechanical devices can be substituted for manual labor
23. Which of the following is false?
all of the above are true
24. The ____ has established six international pallet size standards.
International Standards Organization
25. The basic unit in unit loading is a ____.
26. A major drawback to metal and plastic pallets is their ____.
27. ____ pounds is the approximate weight at which there is a noticeable increase in injuries, particularly back injuries, from manual handling.
28. From a space utilization perspective, one pallet occupies ____ times more space than a plastic slip sheet.
29. ____ refers to the short distance movement that usually takes place within the confines of a building such as a plant or distribution center and between a building and a transportation service provider.
30. With respect to density, a vehicle loaded with ____ is most likely to cube out (cubic capacity is filled before reaching its weight capacity).
31. A dry bulk material's ____ is important for determining the quantity that can be stored in a given location.
angle of repose
32. ____ refers to the interaction between workers and workplace conditions.
33. The total cost of ownership is associated with which of the 10 materials handling principles?
life cycle cost principle
34. It is important that the materials handling equipment be aligned with an organization's objectives, customers, and ____.
35. Which of the following is false?
automation refers to equipment that complements, rather than replaces, human contact
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Logistics Exam Ch 1 - 5
intro to logistics chapter 2
intro to logistics chapter 3
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
BUS187 - CH.16 (Multiple)
chapter 8, 9, 10,14
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
CHAPTER 14: INTERNATIONAL LOGISTICS
Ch 12, 13
CHAPTER 10: WAREHOUSING MANAGEMENT
CHAPTER 9: DISTRIBUTION CENTER, WAREHOUSE, AND PLA…
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
physics test 2 day 3
AIS Practice Ch.8 (Internet)