Senior Search Engineer
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Every month over 30 million active learners from 130 countries practice and master more than 200 million study sets on every conceivable topic and subject. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and tracing pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
Search is the engine that connects users with the best possible learning materials to efficiently master or teach any subject. We have unique technical challenges that you'll tackle as a search engineer, from optimizing the flashcard discovery experience to content recommendations to helping students decide which concepts to study next. Our search experiences are extraordinarily high throughput, serving thousands of requests per second over terabytes of data.
Quizlet is a leading company in education technology with proven traction and huge growth ahead. Our business model is strong and got us to profitability before raising venture capital money. Come help us scale one of the fastest growing and highest quality consumer learning brands, as we develop innovative simple-to-use study tools that help students everywhere. Quizlet is a fun and unique company in a truly exciting phase of its growth.
- Design, build, and maintain all data pipelines and APIs of our search services
- Consult with product managers and technical leads to define new search services
- Determine search success metrics (hit depth, search engagement funnels) in conjunction with the analytics team
- Create backend search DSL's which make search query development easier for all other engineers
- Optimizing search documents for a personalized content discovery experience
- Reconfiguring a sharding strategy for graph-connected knowledge documents
- Building an interval-based retraining system for optimizing search algorithm coefficients
- 2+ years working with Lucene and/or Lucene-based APIs (Elasticsearch, Solr)
- 3+ years in the industry as a backend/data engineer
- Proven track record of designing and optimizing search indices at scale
- Highly proficient in JVM based software development
- Driven by a curiosity and motivation to explore and optimize user-data interaction
- A passion for improving education
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Experience with PHP or Python
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform
Quizlet's Team Culture
We are here to make education better and more accessible. We strive to improve the lives of students and teachers at every stage and in every setting. We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do. We sweat the details and take personal accountability and pride in anything that carries the Quizlet name. We speak up, jump in and work with each other to fix problems, and never say "that's not my job." We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!