Manager, Data Science & Engineering
Quizlet’s data science team uses the largest edtech dataset in the world to unlock education product insight and experimentation. Quizlet users have generated over 8 billion flashcards, logged 30 billion answers, and 100 million people visit Quizlet in a month. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and tracing pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
We are hiring a technical manager with expertise in classification, clustering, NLP, optimization, forecasting, and search. The ideal candidate is comfortable providing general technical direction and oversight, and can be hands-on when needed. Above all, our managers care about people. Their job is to make sure data scientists and engineers are technically challenged, happy, motivated and productive -- all while building foundational data products for Quizlet.
Challenges include:how do we make the best use of a learner’s time when they have 15 minutes to study on the bus? What user-created content is the best, and how do we connect students with it? Which types of users are most successful? What user behaviors on Quizlet get the best learning result?
- Manage a team of talented data scientists and engineers to solve a variety of problems in customized learning
- Lead architectural design for our data platform and data-driven services
- Work closely with the recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members: help develop their careers; assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals.
- Maintain a balance between building principled, scientifically rigorous solutions and shipping things quickly
- Work with data scientists, engineers and product managers to maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals.
- Unblock your team members; help them build the necessary relationships across functions including product development, marketing, user operations and business development.
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Computer Science, or other quantitative field
- 4+ years of hands-on technical or research experience
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of data scientists
- Experience working with large, unstructured datasets with an emphasis on text
- Penchant for solving unstructured and non-standard machine learning problems
- Willingness to collaborate and communicate with others to drive projects to completion
- Passionate about mentoring junior team members, and multiplying impact through technical leadership
- Inclined towards thinking ahead and building for the future
Quizlet's Team Culture
We’re extremely proud of the powerful impact our study tools are having on people’s lives across the U.S. and the world. Our focus on quality, usability, and performance across all platforms has helped Quizlet grow organically to a top U.S. web brand with top-ten education apps on iOS and Android. We regularly visit classrooms across the Bay Area to see Quizlet’s users in action. We believe in teamwork and communication, and we believe in each other — every member has the confidence and flexibility to take a stab at new problems across functions. We love technology and we love helping people. Come join us!