Manager, Data Science & Engineering
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Every month over 30 million active learners from 130 countries practice and master more than 200 million study sets on every conceivable topic and subject. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and tracing pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
Quizlet’s data science team uses the largest edtech dataset in the world to unlock education product insight and experimentation. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and tracing pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
We are hiring a technical manager with expertise in classification, clustering, NLP, optimization, forecasting, and search. The ideal candidate is comfortable providing general technical direction and oversight, and can be hands-on when needed. Above all, our managers care about people. Their job is to make sure data scientists and engineers are technically challenged, happy, motivated and productive -- all while building foundational data products for Quizlet.
Challenges include: how do we make the best use of a learner’s time when they have 15 minutes to study on the bus? What user-created content is the best, and how do we connect students with it? Which types of users are most successful? What user behaviors on Quizlet get the best learning result?
- Manage a team of talented data scientists and engineers to solve a variety of problems in customized learning
- Lead architectural design for our data platform and data-driven services
- Work closely with the recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members: help develop their careers; assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals.
- Maintain a balance between building principled, scientifically rigorous solutions and shipping things quickly
- Work with data scientists, engineers and product managers to maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals.
- Unblock your team members; help them build the necessary relationships across functions including product development, marketing, user operations and business development.
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Computer Science, or other quantitative field
- 4+ years of hands-on technical or research experience
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of data scientists
- Experience working with large, unstructured datasets with an emphasis on text
- Penchant for solving unstructured and non-standard machine learning problems
- Willingness to collaborate and communicate with others to drive projects to completion
- Passionate about mentoring junior team members, and multiplying impact through technical leadership
- Inclined towards thinking ahead and building for the future
Quizlet's Team Culture
We are here to make education better and more accessible. We strive to improve the lives of students and teachers at every stage and in every setting. We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do. We sweat the details and take personal accountability and pride in anything that carries the Quizlet name. We speak up, jump in and work with each other to fix problems, and never say "that's not my job." We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!