Engineering Manager, Marketplace - Denver, CO
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Every month more than 50 million active learners from 130 countries practice and master more than 300 million study sets on every conceivable topic and subject. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
We’re searching for an experienced engineering manager to help build our new Marketplace product. You’ll be a key member of the engineering leadership team, helping us scale technology, people, and process as we grow. You’ll be responsible for connecting learners globally with the world’s best learning content.
Quizlet is a leading company in consumer learning technology with proven traction and huge growth ahead. Our business model is robust with two strong revenue streams — advertisements and paid subscriptions. Our ads business allows us to offer amazing study tools to millions of students around the globe for free. And our premium subscriptions give students and teachers to ability to create custom content and access learning analytics tools. Come help us scale one of the fastest growing and highest quality consumer learning brands, as we develop innovative simple-to-use study tools that help students everywhere.
- Lead a team of product engineers to build the world’s best marketplace for learning content
- Build the team - recruit, assess, hire, mentor and develop engineers
- Work closely with the recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds and ensure a collaborative and inclusive working environment.
- Collaborate on architectural design for search and recommendation systems
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members: help develop their careers; assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals.
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes.
- 5+ years of experience as an engineer and 2+ years managing
- Expertise in consumer products, especially two-sided marketplace
- Adept skills in collaborating and communicating with others to drive projects to completion
- Passionate about mentoring junior team members, and multiplying impact through technical leadership
- Inclined towards thinking ahead and building for the future
Quizlet's Team Culture
We are here to make education better and more accessible. We strive to improve the lives of students and teachers at every stage and in every setting. We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do. We sweat the details and take personal accountability and pride in anything that carries the Quizlet name. We speak up, jump in and work with each other to fix problems, and never say "that's not my job." We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!
Quizlet's Denver Office
We are excited to announce that Quizlet is expanding with a new office in Denver, Colorado. With over 75 employees in San Francisco, Denver offers access to a depth of talent in one of the world’s fastest growing tech centers. Quizlet is looking to continue its rapid expansion to help better serve the global learning community. With rapid growth of over 2 million new users every month, we are looking to build a strong team to expand beyond our current San Francisco location. We are looking for engineering leaders across web, mobile and backend as well as specialists in data science, product analytics, designers, and product managers. We’re looking to grow a full team and presence in Denver, and as a candidate you have the opportunity to be a founding member. You’ll not only start to immediately contribute to the Quizlet platform but also help in shaping our second office location and building out a team of Quizletters committed to changing the way people learn.