Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Every month more than 50 million active learners from 130 countries practice and master more than 300 million study sets on every conceivable topic and subject. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
We are building a lean and stellar Finance team to support Quizlet’s amazing growth. Our team manages the core Finance functions ranging from payroll to accounting to strategic planning. We have the opportunity to be key stakeholders in developing the core business and operational infrastructure to scale the company’s continued success.
Quizlet is a leading company in consumer learning technology with proven traction and huge growth ahead. Our business model is robust with two strong revenue streams — advertisements and paid subscriptions. Our ads business allows us to offer amazing study tools to millions of students around the globe for free. Our premium subscriptions give students and teachers the ability to create custom content and access learning analytics tools. Come help us scale one of the fastest growing and highest quality consumer learning brands, as we develop innovative simple-to-use study tools that help students everywhere.
Under general direction from the Head of Finance, the Payroll Accountant oversees payroll administration and is responsible for monitoring all tasks necessary to accomplish Quizlet’s payroll processing objectives. We are looking for a motivated and extremely detail-oriented candidate with significant knowledge of payroll administration and compliance to join our high-performing team. This is a great opportunity for an experienced Payroll Administrator to help build our in-house payroll function, and own the following responsibilities:
- Coordinate and process bi-weekly payroll accurately
- Calculate non-exempt and exempt salary, compensation changes, and overtime
- Account for benefits, payroll taxes, and other required deductions
- Manage 401k deductions, and assist plan provider with annual audit
- Update and maintain new hires and terminations in payroll system
- Conduct internal audits to prepare for external audits
- Prepare necessary tax filings and transmit as instructed
- Print or deposit manual paychecks
- Provide employee support related to payroll issues and needs
- Make general ledger entries in relation to payroll journal and processing
- Review and approve employee expenses in Expensify
- 2+ years experience with multi-state payroll processing; experience with international payroll a plus, but not required
- Proficiency in payroll systems such as Paylocity, ADP, and/or Workday; experience with Paylocity a strong plus
- Demonstrated knowledge of payroll processing, including local, state and federal regulations
- Knowledge of relevant accounting principles, concepts, and practices
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and/or Google Suite, particularly spreadsheets such as Excel and Sheets
- Possess high integrity and proven ability to handle confidential information
- Ability to work independently and solution-oriented
- Adaptable and collaborative
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field
- Benefits administration experience, knowledge, or skills
- Leaves of absence coordination of benefits experience
- Working knowledge of enterprise accounting systems
Quizlet's Team Culture
We are here to make education better and more accessible. We strive to improve the lives of students and teachers at every stage and in every setting. We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do. We sweat the details and take personal accountability and pride in anything that carries the Quizlet name. We speak up, jump in and work with each other to fix problems, and never say "that's not my job." We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!