Senior Data Engineering Manager
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Every month more than 50 million active learners from 130 countries practice and master more than 300 million study sets on every conceivable topic and subject. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
Quizlet is a leading company in consumer learning technology with proven traction and huge growth ahead. Our business model is robust with two strong revenue streams — advertisements and paid subscriptions. Our ads business allows us to offer amazing study tools to millions of students around the globe for free. And our premium subscriptions give students and teachers the ability to create custom content and access learning analytics tools. Come help us scale one of the fastest growing and highest quality consumer learning brands, as we develop innovative simple-to-use study tools that help students everywhere.
We’re searching for an experienced engineering leader to grow and lead our data engineering team as we scale to 3 PB of analytic data and 5 billion analytic events per day. These teams are critical to success and power in-product features as well as our internal analytics, data science, and search/relevance teams.
Data Engineering Team Mission
Scale our event data collection systems to 5B+ events/day & 2 PB analytic data, empower data products team, product engineers, data scientists with timely, high-quality data and data processing platforms. Key areas of ownership: Core telemetry and processing pipelines, data warehouse, data modeling/data products, ETL and streaming data systems, experimentation platform (A/B testing), visualization tools.
- Must have led data pipeline / data infrastructure teams responsible for providing real-time telemetry of web and mobile event data.
- Must have owned data pipelines serving a consumer product with tens of millions of monthly active users and hundreds of millions of events per day.
- Must have led teams responsible for data modeling / modeling tools.
- Experience building both batch and online data products.
- Excited to spend 30% time in the first year on recruiting, hiring, and team building in general.
- Must have worked with product teams in a high change-velocity, iterative, development environment (shipping multiple times per day).
- Must have worked in an environment with a great degree of experimentation -- dozens of tests per quarter, many simultaneous in-flight tests.
- Must have run teams that carry operational responsibility / SLOs for data quality, availability, timeliness.
Quizlet's Team Culture
We are here to make education better and more accessible. We strive to improve the lives of students and teachers at every stage and in every setting. We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do. We sweat the details and take personal accountability and pride in anything that carries the Quizlet name. We speak up, jump in and work with each other to fix problems, and never say "that's not my job." We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!