Senior Data Scientist
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Every month more than 50 million active learners from 130 countries practice and master more than 300 million study sets on every conceivable topic and subject. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
Quizlet’s data science team uses the largest consumer learning dataset in the world to build smarter products. We build core data services through understanding of our content, such as subject classification or suggestions. We develop new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon studies from learning and cognitive science. We want to understand our content more deeply, match users to content, and power new products and international growth. We have an ambitious roadmap - we are planning to double the team this year and you would be a foundational member of the team.
We’re sitting on a trove of data on how students learn - down to the term and concept level. The team is passionate about “learning about learning”, and contributing to the field. We also have a dataset many times larger than Stanford’s Question Answering Dataset (SQuAD), one of the main benchmarking datasets for state-of-the-art language understanding development like BERT.
Quizlet is a leading company in consumer learning technology with proven traction and huge growth ahead. Our business model is robust with two strong revenue streams — advertisements and paid subscriptions. Our ads business allows us to offer amazing study tools to millions of students around the globe for free. Our premium subscriptions give students and teachers the ability to create custom content and access learning analytics tools. Come help us scale one of the fastest growing and highest quality consumer learning brands, as we develop innovative simple-to-use study tools that help students everywhere.
- Leverage machine learning / quantitative modeling to build smarter products, being involved from conception to production
- Build, maintain, and improve data products and pipelines consumable by product development teams, with full ownership for these services
- Maintain a balance between scientifically rigorous solutions and shipping things quickly to get results
- Publish results in various formats e.g. blog posts, conference posters and papers
- Improving search—implement Learning to Rank and personalization (on elasticsearch)
- Recommendations of content, the order it should be studied, and study method
- Language understanding models to help users learn complex and long text material
- 5+ years of experience in data science and/or engineering OR relevant graduate degree with 2+ years of experience
- Proven track record of delivering wins with quantitative models
- Solid programming skills, particularly around data pipelines and production ML services
- Driven by a curiosity to explore user interaction data, using this to inform or feed into products - using the standard python data science stack
- Willingness to collaborate and communicate with others to drive projects to completion, working outside any narrowly defined roles
- A passion for improving education and learning
- Experience working with search and NLP
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform, Airflow
Quizlet's Team Culture
We are here to make education better and more accessible. We strive to improve the lives of students and teachers at every stage and in every setting. We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do. We sweat the details and take personal accountability and pride in anything that carries the Quizlet name. We speak up, jump in and work with each other to fix problems, and never say "that's not my job." We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!