Lead Software Engineer - Subscriptions
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Every month more than 50 million active learners from 130 countries practice and master more than 300 million study sets on every conceivable topic and subject. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
We take pride in keeping Quizlet free for anyone to use. Free access is made possible by our growing base of power users (both students and teachers) who pay to subscribe to our premium features such as Night Theme for late night studiers and customized Quizlet Live for our teachers. Our team mission is to deliver excellence to our subscribers through premium features that target their needs to succeed. We invite applications from engineers who are interested in building these cool features in addition to maintaining a sustainable subscription business for the company.
Quizlet is a leading company in consumer learning technology with proven traction and huge growth ahead. Our business model is robust with two strong revenue streams — advertisements and paid subscriptions. Our ads business allows us to offer amazing study tools to millions of students around the globe for free. And our premium subscriptions give students and teachers the ability to create custom content and access learning analytics tools. Come help us scale one of the fastest growing and highest quality consumer learning brands, as we develop innovative simple-to-use study tools that help students everywhere.
- Use e-commerce best practices to architect and build freemium conversion funnels.
- Own and improve our integrations with subscriptions providers like Apple & Google, and payment processors like Stripe.
- Advise and mentor other engineers on the team.
- Participate in design, code, and architecture reviews.
- Investigate new technologies that may be of use to the team
- Building support for rich-text editing across platforms.
- Architecting a competitive multiplayer learning game for students.
- Use OCR to create a Quizlet study set from a photo of study material.
- 4+ years of full-stack experience building rich, interactive web applications.
- Experience working on large-scale consumer websites, with attention to scalability and performance concerns.
- Experience working with server-side MVC web frameworks and REST APIs.
- Excitement about the impact your work could have on the lives of students and teachers every day
- Familiarity with subscriptions or the freemium model.
- Familiarity with Apple and/or Google subscriptions for in-app purchases, or with payment systems.
Quizlet's Team Culture
We are here to make education better and more accessible. We strive to improve the lives of students and teachers at every stage and in every setting. We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do. We sweat the details and take personal accountability and pride in anything that carries the Quizlet name. We speak up, jump in and work with each other to fix problems, and never say "that's not my job." We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!