Lead Software Engineer - Denver, CO
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Every month more than 50 million active learners from 130 countries practice and master more than 300 million study sets on every conceivable topic and subject. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
We're looking for a Lead Full Stack Engineer to help us acquire the next 50+ million learners. This will include making constant improvements to our current platform which is built upon modern tools like React, Hack and Elastic Search making it able to perform over 1B learning transactions per week. The team's goal is to expand Quizlet from a US-focused company with 50M active users to a global education platform serving the world's 1.4B student population. This is a full-time position at our new Denver, CO office. We are looking for a passionate individual who will join us as one of the founding members of the Denver office and share our stories through technical blog posts, meet-ups, and conferences.
Quizlet is a leading company in consumer learning technology with proven traction and huge growth ahead. Our business model is robust with two strong revenue streams — advertisements and paid subscriptions. Our ads business allows us to offer amazing study tools to millions of students around the globe for free. And our premium subscriptions give students and teachers the ability to create custom content and access learning analytics tools. Come help us scale one of the fastest growing and highest quality consumer learning brands, as we develop innovative simple-to-use study tools that help students everywhere.
- Build user-facing features and ship experiments using React/Redux
- Develop server-side code using Hack
- Collaborate with other Engineers to design and implement APIs
- Build automation and abstractions (such as reusable UI components) to improve development speed
- Architect and implement data fetching and state management systems on the front-end
- Work with Product Designers to iterate on the design and implementation of our product
- Identify and implement performance improvements to our website
- Participate in design, code, and architecture reviews
- Observe user testing to understand and improve usability
- Investigate new technologies that may be of use to the team
- Design A/B tests to improve new user experience through data-driven analysis
- In collaboration with the data science and machine learning teams, design and build out a browsable site hierarchy to let users easily find content
- Rearchitect key landing pages to improve page load performance leading to more activated users
- Own all engineering changes needed to increase Quizlet's inbound search engine traffic by 10% YoY
Qualifications and Experience
- 4+ years of experience building rich, interactive web applications
- Experience working on large-scale consumer websites, with attention to scalability and performance concerns
- Experience working with server-side code - we use Hack, Node.js, and Python
- Knowledge of relational and search database
- Excitement about the impact your work could have on the lives of students and teachers every day
- Ability to mentor junior engineers
- Experience understanding the implications changes will have on search traffic. (aka, SEO experience)
- Experience working on user acquisition or "growth" teams previously.
- Knowledge of service-oriented architecture and microservices
- An aptitude for experimentation demonstrated by being hypothesis-driven, metrics focused and eager to test and iterate
Quizlet’s Team Culture
We are here to make education better and more accessible. We strive to improve the lives of students and teachers at every stage and in every setting. We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do. We sweat the details and take personal accountability and pride in anything that carries the Quizlet name. We speak up, jump in and work with each other to fix problems, and never say "that's not my job." We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!
Quizlet’s Denver Office
Quizlet, the leading consumer learning app to help people practice and master whatever they are learning, is excited to announce that it is expanding the rapidly growing company with a new office in Denver, Colorado. With over 75 employees in San Francisco, Denver offers access to a depth of talent in one of the world’s fastest growing tech centers. Quizlet is looking to continue its rapid expansion to help better serve the global learning community. With rapid growth of over 2 million new users every month, we are looking to build a strong team to expand beyond our current San Francisco location. We are looking for engineering leaders across web, mobile and backend as well as specialists in data science, product analytics, designers, and product managers. We’re looking to grow a full team and presence in Denver, and as a candidate you have the opportunity to be a founding member. You’ll not only start to immediately contribute to the Quizlet platform but also help in shaping our second office location and building out a team of Quizletters committed to changing the way people learn and making high quality studying and learning available to everyone.