Senior Data Engineer
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they’re learning. We provide engaging and customizable activities with content contributions from people everywhere (over 200 million study sets and counting). We have fanatical users, significant organic growth, and a strong business model that got us to profitability before raising venture capital money.
We're developing machine learning models for knowledge acquisition, retention, and mastery on top of the largest and most granular dataset in education. We’re searching for a data engineer who can support our data science, analytics and research teams by helping to design and scale the data processing critical to this pursuit.
A great candidate will be meticulous and detail oriented and interested in gaining exposure to machine learning development and implementation. You should also be interested in working with large amounts of data - Quizlet shows billions of questions a month to users worldwide.
- Design, build, and maintain data pipelines that power analytics and research at Quizlet
- Architect and deploy machine learning driven services such as classification and knowledge prediction
- Define and synthesize data logging best practices
- Work with all engineering platforms to decide how to track and record events
- Assist with production monitoring and debugging of our data pipelines
- Scale our knowledge classification architecture and implement retraining pipelines
- Design and build a cross-platform question generator
- Re-architecting our logging tables and ETL pipelines
- Identifying and implementing performance improvements for our machine learning pipeline
Qualifications and Experience
- 4+ years in the industry as a data engineer or backend engineer
- Highly proficient with SQL, and the desire to mentor and teach others SQL
- Highly proficient in Python scripting and software development
- Driven by a curiosity and motivation to explore data
- Experience dealing with DevOps concerns for data pipelines
- A passion for improving education
Bonus Points For...
- Experience with PHP, JVM
- Experience designing elegant APIs for data processing
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform
Quizlet’s Team Culture
We’re extremely proud of the powerful impact our study tools are having on people’s lives across the U.S. and the world. Our focus on quality, usability, and performance across all platforms has helped Quizlet grow organically to a top U.S. web brand with top education apps on iOS and Android. We regularly visit classrooms across the Bay Area to see Quizlet’s users in action. We believe in teamwork and communication, and we believe in each other — every member has the confidence and flexibility to take a stab at new problems across functions. We love technology and we love helping people. Come join us!