Staff Engineer, Applications
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they are learning. Every month over 30 million active learners from 130 countries practice and master more than 200 million study sets on every conceivable topic and subject. We are developing new learning experiences by modeling how students learn and by drawing upon knowledge acquisition, retention, and tracing pedagogy in cognitive science. We are always seeking to help students master any subject by optimizing study efficiency and engagement.
Quizlet is a leading company in education technology with proven traction and huge growth ahead. Our business model is strong and got us to profitability before raising venture capital money. Come help us scale one of the fastest growing and highest quality consumer learning brands, as we develop innovative simple-to-use study tools that help students everywhere. Quizlet is a fun and unique company in a truly exciting phase of its growth.
You will lead the design, development, and support of a growing number of application services supporting Quizlet’s learning and growth missions. In addition to leading and contributing to the development of new application services you’ll be a key partner with our platform engineering team in maturing our GCP-based development platform.
You’ll be building a fast-growing consumer learning platform that’s helping millions of learners. The ideal candidate will think critically about many computer science disciplines including product design, usability, building APIs and user-centric online applications, business logic, scaling performance, and 24x7 reliability. Using your excellent communication skills and drawing upon hard-won experience you’ll work closely with engineers, product managers, and designers to drive the right tradeoffs in architecture, design, and requirements.
- Scale distributed applications, make architectural trade-offs applying synchronous and asynchronous design patterns, write code, and deliver with speediness and quality
- Develop scalable, multi-tier, high-volume, performant and reliable user-centric applications that operate 24x7
- Produce high-quality software that is unit tested, code reviewed, and checked in regularly for continuous integration
- Provide technical leadership, driving and performing best engineering practices to initiate, plan, and execute large-scale, cross-functional, and companywide critical programs
- Identify, leverage, and successfully evangelize opportunities to improve engineering productivity
- Experience in designing and building web services at large scale
- Extensive experience designing and documenting APIs
- Extensive experience with a wide range of in-memory, and disk-based databases, both SQL and otherwise
- Experience with continuous deployment to cloud / virtualized environments (“DevOps”)
- Experience designing services for high-availability / disaster recovery
- Active publishing technical blogs, giving talks at meetups or conferences
- 1+ years experience in a key departmental leadership role
- 5+ years experience in software design, development, and algorithm related solutions
- BA/BS Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline, or directly-related practical experience
- Consumer Internet experience
- Experience designing services that support user/feature experimentation
- Experience with messaging-related applications like push notifications, email
- ML experience
Quizlet’s Team Culture
We are here to make education better and more accessible. We strive to improve the lives of students and teachers at every stage and in every setting. We have a bias for action, take initiative, and hustle to deliver results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do. We sweat the details and take personal accountability and pride in anything that carries the Quizlet name. We speak up, jump in and work with each other to fix problems, and never say "that's not my job." We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!