Staff Engineer, Applications
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they’re learning. We provide engaging and customizable activities with content contributions from people everywhere (over 200 million study sets and counting). We have fanatical users, significant organic growth, and a strong business model that got us to profitability before we raised venture capital money.
In this role, you will lead the design, development, and support of a growing number of application services supporting Quizlet’s learning and growth missions. In addition to leading and contributing to the development of new application services you’ll be a key partner with our platform engineering team in maturing our GCP-based development platform.
You’ll be building a fast-growing consumer learning platform that’s helping millions of learners. The ideal candidate will think critically about many computer science disciplines including product design, usability, building APIs and user-centric online applications, business logic, scaling performance, and 24x7 reliability. Using your excellent communication skills and drawing upon hard-won experience you’ll work closely with engineers, product managers, and designers to drive the right tradeoffs in architecture, design, and requirements.
- Scale distributed applications, make architectural trade-offs applying synchronous and asynchronous design patterns, write code, and deliver with speediness and quality
- Develop scalable, multi-tier, high-volume, performant and reliable user-centric applications that operate 24x7
- Produce high-quality software that is unit tested, code reviewed, and checked in regularly for continuous integration
- Provide technical leadership, driving and performing best engineering practices to initiate, plan, and execute large-scale, cross-functional, and companywide critical programs
- Identify, leverage, and successfully evangelize opportunities to improve engineering productivity
Experience and Qualifications
- Experience in designing and building web services at large scale
- Extensive experience designing and documenting APIs
- Extensive experience with a wide range of in-memory, and disk-based databases, both SQL and otherwise
- Experience with continuous deployment to cloud / virtualized environments (“DevOps”)
- Experience designing services for high-availability / disaster recovery
- Active publishing technical blogs, giving talks at meetups or conferences
- 1+ years experience in a key departmental leadership role
- 5+ years experience in software design, development, and algorithm related solutions
- BA/BS Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline, or directly-related practical experience
Bonus Points For...
- Consumer Internet experience
- Experience designing services that support user/feature experimentation
- Experience with messaging-related applications like push notifications, email
- ML experience
Quizlet’s Team Culture
We’re extremely proud of the powerful impact our study tools are having on people’s lives across the U.S. and the world. Our focus on quality, usability, and performance across all platforms has helped Quizlet grow organically to a top U.S. web brand with top education apps on iOS and Android. We regularly visit classrooms across the Bay Area to see Quizlet’s users in action. We believe in teamwork and communication, and we believe in each other — every member has the confidence and flexibility to take a stab at new problems across functions. We love technology and we love helping people. Come join us!