Staff Engineer, Platform
Quizlet’s mission is to help students (and their teachers) practice and master whatever they’re learning. We provide engaging and customizable activities with content contributions from people everywhere (over 200 million study sets and counting). We have fanatical users, significant organic growth, and a strong business model that got us to profitability before we raised venture capital money.
In this role, you will be a key leader in expanding Quizlet’s Platform Engineering team, helping solve the challenges driven by tens of millions of users as well as a growing engineering team. Success is defined by development speed and scalability. In addition to helping mature our GCP-based development platform, you’ll lead the design, development, and support of a growing number of services, frameworks, tools and production environments that support Quizlet’s application engineering team.
The ideal candidate will think critically about many computer science disciplines including architecture, design, building APIs and developer-centric tools, scaling performance, and 24x7 reliability. Using your excellent communication skills and drawing upon hard-won experience you’ll work across the company to drive the right tradeoffs in architecture, design, and requirements.
At Quizlet we believe investments in our Platform will be critical to our success. We want everything to be automated and driven by quality and correctness.
- Provide technical leadership for the Platform Engineering team including understanding and prioritizing problems and critical, company-wide solutions.
- Coach and mentor engineers and review design and implementation. Interview and assess candidates.
- Drive the design of innovative platforms and tools that deliver a compelling development experience to our engineers.
- Identify, leverage, and successfully evangelize opportunities to improve engineering productivity
- Model and promote best engineering practices. Set the bar for design and quality.
- Help lead the team in scaling information retrieval.
- Produce high-quality software that is unit tested, code reviewed, and checked-in regularly for continuous integration.
Qualifications and Experience
- Extensive experience in designing and building sophisticated software deployment systems
- Extensive experience designing and building large-scale, data-intensive back-end web services
- Extensive experience designing and documenting APIs
- Extensive experience with a wide range of in-memory, and disk-based databases, both SQL and otherwise
- Experience with continuous deployment to cloud / virtualized environments
- Experience designing services for high-availability / disaster recovery
- Active publishing technical blogs, giving talks at meetups or conferences
- 1+ years experience in a key departmental leadership role
- 5+ years experience in software design, development, and algorithm related solutions
- BA/BS Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline, or directly-related practical experience
Bonus Points For...
- Consumer Internet experience
- Experience designing services that support user/feature experimentation
- Experience with messaging-related applications like push notifications, email
- ML experience
Quizlet’s Team Culture
We’re extremely proud of the powerful impact our study tools are having on people’s lives across the U.S. and the world. Our focus on quality, usability, and performance across all platforms has helped Quizlet grow organically to a top U.S. web brand with top education apps on iOS and Android. We regularly visit classrooms across the Bay Area to see Quizlet’s users in action. We believe in teamwork and communication, and we believe in each other — every member has the confidence and flexibility to take a stab at new problems across functions. We love technology and we love helping people. Come join us!