L16 Personal Selling and Sales Management
Terms in this set (22)
Action of exchanging goods for payments.
Generates income as a result of transaction
- Part of the promotional mix
- Two way communication between buyer and seller
- Personal sellers must be managed = sales management
- Planning the selling program
- Implementing and evaluating the personal selling effort of the firm.
7 sales management tasks
1. Setting objectives
2. Organizing the salesforce
6. Compensating salespeople
7. Evaluating the performance of individual salespeople
3 Roles of Personal Selling
1. Critical link between the firm and its customers
2. Ambassador of company in a consumer's eyes:
3. Dominant role in a firm's marketing program: "push marketing" = personal seller pushing the sale to their audience
3 Forms of Personal Selling
1. Order-Taking Salespeople
2. Order-Getting Salespeople
3. Customer Sales Support Personnel
Process routine orders for products that were already sold
- little selling in a conventional sense
- modest problem solving.
Identify prospective customers,
follow up on customers' use of a product/service
- a high degree of creativity and customer empathy (for selling complex or technical products).
Customer Sales Support Personnel
Augment the selling effort of order getters by performing a variety of services.
Sales engineers bring technical expertise but often do not actually sell products (products such as chemicals and heavy equipment).
6 steps of the Personal Selling Process
2. Approaching the prospect
3. Making the presentation
4. Answering objections
5. Closing the sale
6. Following up
- Identifying prospective customers
- Promotional advertising
- Exhibits at trade shows to attract the attention
- Internet: websites, e-mail, and social networks (e.g., LinkedIn) to connect to individuals.
- Cold calling: being a c4nt
Approaching the prospect
- Further information on the customer
- Best method of approach/ research
Knowing how the customer prefers to be approached
Knowing what the customer is looking for in a product or service
Information sources include:
Making the presentation
CORE OF PROCESS
The salesperson must attract and hold the prospect's attention, stimulate interest in and spark a desire for the product
Dealing with any doubts that the customer has
Closing the sale
Obtaining a commitment from the customer to make a purchase
- Deciding when they're ready to buy, looking at body language, statements and questions
Were the recommendations followed?
Was sufficient decision-making information included in the report?
What could have been done to make the report more useful to management?
> Sales managers
> Sales people
Sales management process
1. Sales plan formulation
2. Sales plan implementation
3. Salesforce evaluation
Sales plan formulation
- Setting objectives
- Organizing the salesforce
- Developing account management policies
Sales plan implementation
- Salesforce recruitment and selection
- Salesforce training
- Salesforce motivation and compensation
- Quantitative assessments of input vs output
_ Behavioural measures of attitude, attention, knowledge, communication and appearance
Salesforce Automation (SFA)
The use of these technologies to make the sales function more effective and efficient.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Marketing Kerin Chapter 20
Ch 17 marketing
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
L23 Not for profit marketing
L22 Ethical Marketing Practices
L21 Consumption and Wellbeing
L20 Retailing and Shopping
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
L15 Developing new products and services. Product lifecycle.
L18 Managing marketing channels and supply chains
L19 Strategic Marketing Process and Measuring marketing success