Upgrade to remove ads
Trios CPE 1
Terms in this set (50)
1. He was afraid that his revolutionary proposals would __________ with strong opposition from hardliners.
2. The Chinese factories were operating nonstop churning out shoes to __________ the demand in Europe and the US.
3. With only 200 dollars a month, the family struggled to make ends __________.
1. The birds build their nests in early September and begin to __________ their eggs two weeks later, always being on the lookout for predators.
2. The press speculated whether the new telecommunications company was going to __________ cables on the seabed to improve the existing system.
3. One of my responsibilities at home is to __________ the table in the evening.
1. It's irritating that they do nothing but __________ lies about our family. The whole village is about to believe their incredible stories.
2. Don't allow the educational system to restrict your thinking abilities. I urge you to __________ your wings and do things your way.
3. He opened the jar, took out some jam with his knife and __________ it evenly on the warm toast.
1. Marijuana is not regarded as a __________ drug. That's why some countries are thinking of letting people use it, at least for medical purposes.
2. It's __________ to believe that there are no good people out there. I'm sure you can find some good-natured individuals in this area.
3. I'm trying to spare you learning things the __________ way. Follow my advice and you don't need to make mistakes.
1. The latest __________ in The New York Times was not favourable. He felt the movie was underrated.
2. At the end of your first year at work we will __________ your salary and give you a company car.
3. The reclusive dictator showed up at a military parade to __________ his troops and show his defiant opponents he was still in power.
1. Blankets and shelters were in __________ supply in the aftermath of the disaster:
2. Nobody in this business knew his real name. He was called Bill for __________
3. She reacted angrily when her name hadn't been included on the __________ list in the job.
1. Though the movie was widely __________ across the country, the sales were a disappointment for the studio.
2. For a woman to get __________ in the business world seems to be a tall order in predominantly male environment.
3. This website was shut down soon after the Internet provider realized it __________ extreme views inciting violence.
1. Holmes immediately spotted two __________ marks on the neck of the victim which he thought might have been left by a snake of some kind.
2. Don't __________ the hand that feeds you. It was me who got you promoted and now, Ron, you're plotting behind my back. Shame on you!
3. 'Fred, can I have some of your apple?' 'Sure. Have a __________ '
1. I'm absolutely __________ the horse will win the race. There's no doubt about it.
2. It came as a shock to her husband when she tested __________ for a sexually transmitted disease.
3. The guru stresses the power of __________ thinking in his lectures, saying it helps to overcome problems and reduce strain.
1. It was one of the gang's members that __________ the agent's cover as he'd seen him in uniform before.
2. Feeling tired, Lind put away the book, __________ out the candle and went to sleep.
3. Separatists __________ up several bridges in the province sending a violent message to the capital.
1. Finally, they have decided to file a civil __________ against the corporation. The first hearing is due next week.
2. White doesn't __________ me. I prefer dark colours like brown and black.
3. If you asked me to arrive at 7, it would __________ me fine.
1. The latest evidence doesn't __________ the initial assumptions. We need to change the way we've thought about the process.
2. I'm really grateful to you for your affection and __________ I received throughout the recovery.
3. Chris had to work hard as he had a wife and three children to __________
1. The __________ , though not especially sophisticated, smelled so great that it made his mouth water.
2. 'Which is his window?' 'Look over there. It's the one with a satellite __________ attached to the wall.'
3. A couple of volunteers turned up at the centre ready to __________ out food to the needy.
1. Each time he grinned showing the girl his __________ teeth, she became more and more convinced that she didn't want to spend her days looking after an octogenarian.
2. She bought herself a dog which gave her a __________ sense of security. It was small and couldn't bark loudly.
3. One __________ move and you'll be pushing up the daises. So stay where you are.
1. I didn't know about her problems. They never came to my __________
2. The __________ on the wall of the building said 'No entry'.
3. It is next to impossible to organize relief at such short __________ . We need some more time to make it work.
1. I'll never let you get away with it. You can be sure one day you'll __________ for all your crooked ways.
2. Where are your manners? Don't __________ me back, you rude boy.
3. Can you __________ the door? I'm having a shower.
1. In small villages news travels fast. It is spread by word of __________
2. The refugee camp was built near the __________ of the river to make relief work more efficient.
3. The bad smell that was coming from his __________ put off all the girls in our class.
1. With the arrival of the storm, almost all the telephone lines went __________ which caused even more problems for the rescue teams.
2. They all agreed that the plan was a __________ duck and chose to abandon it.
3. The patient was pronounced __________ on arrival. The funeral was scheduled two days later.
1. The house on the outskirts of the town was in a sorry __________. It desperately needed renovating.
2. For years the two neighbouring countries were in a __________ of war.
3. Those who came to the airport were able to see a few heads of __________ coming out of the plane to the accompaniment of the orchestra.
1. When in the pub, Frank usually __________ up attractive girls sitting at the tables which makes his wife see red.
2. I'm sorry I'm so busy at the moment. I'm up to my __________ in work.
3. You've got to be very careful doing business with that Russian. He's a bit fishy. I advise you to have __________ in the back of your head.
1. __________ results showed that Mike was the winner, but obviously, they had to wait for official confirmation.
2. I'm sure you know this adage: 'The __________ bird catches the worm'
3. In the __________ days, people used carts and horses to transport goods.
1. She looked scruffy in her tattered coat with a big dirty __________ on the sleeve.
2. The town's anniversary was round the corner. To __________ the occasion, the officials built a huge bridge spanning the two banks of the river.
3. You've forgotten to put an exclamation __________ in this sentence. Such a mistake may cost you dearly in the exam.
1. Running on the treadmill is said to be the most effective exercise that will __________ your calories like nothing else.
2. Once you've downloaded the songs, the copyright allows you to __________ a maximum of 3 CDs for your own use.
3. Connie, poor? You must be joking. She's got money to __________. Wait till you see her mansion.
1. I'll tell you something, Jane. Never trust men. They only offer __________ promises which they don't keep.
2. Despite his achievements, the athlete strongly believed that his life was __________ and devoid of any purpose whatsoever.
3. Did the customs officers really ask you to __________ your pockets and show their contents?
1. It's true that the pay in the __________ sector is higher, but working for a governmental agency guarantees peace of mind.
2. Don't get me wrong, but I prefer keeping my professional and __________ life separate.
3. What you are going to hear in a moment is __________ and you are not to reveal this information to anyone.
1. It's easy. You have to __________ out unnecessary words in some of the sentences.
2. The vehicle looked a bit strange at the show. It was a __________ between a car and a motorcycle.
3. It didn't __________ his mind that Louise was a spy working for the Israelis.
1. The villagers are worried that the river may __________ its banks this year round. Last year vast areas of farmland were under water.
2. It was a surgical strike. When the missile hit the target the building __________ into flames.
3. Suddenly, the door __________ open and a group of masked men rushed into the bank.
1. It was fascinating to watch the bird in action. It was there, __________ the hollow, waiting for its next prey.
2. The police said that burglars must have had __________ information about the security systems as they didn't set off the alarm.
3. I know the town __________ out. I've been living here all my life, my dear.
1. He saved thousands of Jews from the Holocaust when the country was under the Nazi rule, an __________ of extraordinary courage in those times.
2. Look at you! You're an adult, James __________ your age and nobody will ever tell you that you're irresponsible.
3. We have to __________ immediately to help this war-torn nation rebuild itself before it is too late.
1. Would you be so kind as to __________ on the dotted line? I need to have your consent in black and white.
2. After much deliberation, the president decided to __________ the new legislation into law.
3. It took Miriam only a few days to learn the rudiments of __________ language to help the deaf.
1. He turned out to be an asset to the company, always __________ to help his colleagues when they felt overburdened with work.
2. Lisa has always shown a __________ interest in martial arts. She's seen all the films with Bruce Lee and she wants to go to China to learn from Shaolin masters.
3. I must say I'm not that __________ on going out with Luke. He's a bit too scruffy for my taste.
1. My father comes from the old __________ of thought that believed in moral values
2. When under water, the diver spotted a large __________ of herring swimming northwards.
3. All the children were ecstatic, knowing their __________ holidays were near.
1. With high __________ rates, clients are not likely to borrow money from financial institutions.
2. He attended a few classes, but soon lost __________ and started hanging round with fishy people from a local boxing club.
3. The daily features all kinds of topics of general __________ to the public.
1. At university, Catharine was a __________ student. Needless to say, she passed all her exams with flying colours.
2. This new __________ of the car can reach 100 kph in just under 6 seconds.
3. I hate it when she tries to __________ herself on Britney Spears. She looks and sounds so unnatural.
1. The country prides itself on having the most national parks and __________ reserves in the world and has often been given as an example for others to follow.
2. Fiona gave the __________ away when she began giggling behind his back. This made him suspicious.
3. They were sitting in the armchairs hunching over the desk and playing a __________ of chess.
1. Before any major fight the champ trains in the gym every day for 4 hours without __________
2. You are too kind to me. I don't know what to say. Words __________ me!
3. I __________ to understand why he's so nasty most of the time. He can be nice when he wants.
1. This pastry is disgusting. I wouldn't even recommend that you __________ it. I think it might have gone off.
2. To tell you the truth, you have bad __________ in clothes. Why don't you read some fashion magazines? They might teach you something.
3. Red cars are a bit too extravagant for my __________ I prefer blue or light green.
1. He planned to stay in the box with 1000 scorpions for three months, an act which was supposed to put all the other entertainers in the __________
2. When the sun reached its zenith, they wanted to find some __________ to escape from its scorching rays.
3. The artist uses a combination of light and __________ in his drawings to highlight certain recurring cycles in our lives.
1. After a short period of severe winter, plants came to __________ again displaying their gorgeous flowers.
2. Moving west gave her a new lease of __________ . The climate was better and the people were more hospitable.
3. Lisa's parents were unaware that she was leading a double __________. Actually, nobody knew she had become a drug addict.
1. Yes, you're right. I shouldn't have reacted the way I did. I __________ you a sincere apology.
2. Don't forget you still __________ me 5 pounds. You won't get away with this.
3. They always feel extremely grateful for his kind help and support. In fact, they think they __________ everything to him.
1. Praise and your tender loving care can __________ up your child's self-esteem and help him become a responsible person.
2. Let me think, officer. The man was in his late thirties, dark, and of muscular__________, with a tattoo on his left arm.
3. Now that tension and racial hatred is out of the way, we need to __________ bridges between the two communities.
1. I'm wondering if I could buy a __________ of first class stamps here.
2. We strongly recommend that you don't hesitate and __________ now because this destination is highly popular with passengers.
3. The enforcement officials were particularly careful to do everything by the __________ while searching his house. They wanted to avoid a lawsuit.
1. The night before she was to get married to a Vietnamese immigrant, her female friends organized a hen __________.
2. Having waited two days, the police decided to send out a search __________ to scour the forest where the man had been last seen.
3. As the newly elected __________ leader he vowed to beat the Conservatives in the next elections. An old cliché, but quite effective at that time.
1. Living under a totalitarian __________ is always very difficult for free-thinking individuals.
2. If you go on feasting on junk food, it's going to have a devastating effect on your digestive __________.
3. The question whether there are intelligent living forms outside our solar __________ has always perplexed scientists as well as philosophers.
1. Take necessary precautions when travelling on public transport. Somebody may pick your __________.
2. He reached into the inside __________ of his jacket to produce his passport, but it was gone.
3. The whole town was his. Even the mayor was in his __________ . In fact, nobody could challenge his position.
1. The story has it that the shipwrecked survivor made it to a __________ island.
2. A group of vultures were circling over his head as he was making his way through the __________.
3. I love you so much that I will never __________ you for another woman, honey. My love is unshakeable.
1. He was exempt from military __________ on grounds of his poor health.
2. Our network of garages makes it a point to __________ all cars regardless of where they come from.
3. The food is excellent here, but the __________ leaves much to be desired.
1. Claire was visibly shaken by the assault and it took a while before she managed to __________ down and tell him what had happened.
2. The genocide was described as totally unexpected, but it shouldn't have. Experts had warned that the relatively peaceful atmosphere was only the __________ before the storm.
3. Ricky took pleasure in going to the park which, for him, was an oasis of __________ in his hectic and tumultuous life.
1. I'm really worried about our father. He's getting old fast and now he seems to be in __________ health.
2. __________ old Mike finds it hard to rub shoulders with his peers. No wonder his parents feel genuinely sorry for him.
3. If I were you, I wouldn't buy it. Look at this material. It's obvious it's of __________ quality.
1. His father took pains to inculcate a __________ of duty in his heart. Later he came to be a responsible person.
2. It's not intelligence that you need to choose friends. It's common __________ that can safeguard you against certain individuals.
3. Entering this old deserted German bunker, visitors can __________ the atmosphere of conspiracy that prevailed in the place during the last days of Nazi regime.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Trios CPE 2
1000 trios for CPE 1
Trios CPE 3
CPE Transformation sentences
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Into the Wild Characters
American Literature Midterm - Jay Beavers Baylor
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Vite et bien
Poser un lapin