Upgrade to remove ads
Trios CPE 2
Terms in this set (50)
1. Can you lend me some money right now? I'm stone __________ at the moment.
2. With the support of his family he eventually __________ his smoking habit for good.
3. The curtain went down and the audience __________ the silence with thunderous applause.
1. The local community was appreciative of the businessman's generous gesture to improve the state of the school. He really __________ the day by donating more than 100,000 dollars.
2. The working day was drawing to a close. He __________ all the documents he'd made so far by clicking the icon and left the office.
3. She __________ enough money to enjoy life to the full without having to work for the rest of her days.
1. 'I've got something to tell.' 'Fire away. I'm all __________ .'
2. His pleas for more money spent on education fell on deaf __________ . The issue was simply ignored.
3. I'm afraid I can't see you tomorrow. I'm up to my __________ in work.
1. When the management refused to bow down to the workers' demands, they __________ a general strike.
2. Realizing that the situation was getting out of hand the president __________ in troops to restore order in the capital.
3. He pulled up his lorry in the middle of the road, got out and ran to the damaged car. Fortunately, the driver, a young woman, was still alive. He immediately __________ an ambulance.
1. Anyway, that's all for now. I have to go to __________ the post. Do drop me a line soon.
2. The animal is very elusive, but if you want to __________ a glimpse of it, there is no better place than our nature reserve.
3. Most businessmen work long hours and don't get enough rest during the week, so when the weekend comes they often __________ up on sleep.
1. I know what may cheer you up. Let's see a good comedy. It'll certainly __________ you in a good mood.
2. Little children with their unpredictable behaviour always __________ my patience to the test.
3. 'George, don't you think that I've __________ on some weight recently?' 'Honey, I love you anyway.'
1. Miranda was flabbergasted when she saw her signature on the dotted __________ . She can't have been that stupid to sign the document.
2. The unemployed were standing in a long __________ for their turn to take free soup from the charity.
3. Hurry up, Mr Lazy. The President is on the __________ and wants to talk to you.
1. Scientists were astounded when the volcano, which had been dormant for the last 200 hundred years, became __________ again endangering the lives of the inhabitants of the island.
2. The captain died on __________ service in the Vietnam War somewhere in the dense jungles of the south.
3. Despite her advanced age, she was very __________ , still on the go pottering round in the garden and going jogging every other day.
1. Have you got a TV __________? I want to know what's on telly tonight.
2. The tourist __________ was a 56 year-old lecherous man making eyes at elderly German female tourists.
3. When you press the Enter button, instructions on the screen will __________ you through the installation process.
1. I can't understand your optimism. Prices are rising, jobs are scarce, our welfare system going to the __________ and you say life is good.
2. I'm not going anywhere in such weather. It's raining cats and __________
3. We should let sleeping __________ lie and avoid bringing up the issue.
1. After a thorough examination the inspector decided to __________ down the building as it posed a threat to the dwellers' safety.
2. Be a man, Luke __________ yourself together and stop crying. The girls are looking at you.
3. Sally hated sitting at the first table in the classroom. The boys behind made it a point to __________ her long plaits and it hurt a lot.
1. The paparazzi denied that he had __________ the privacy of the rock star. He claimed he didn't feel guilty whatsoever.
2. When Poland was __________ by German troops, most of the European nat just looked on.
3. Hundreds of thrilled fans __________ the pitch soon after the final whistle was blown.
1. Smuggling drugs in some countries may __________ a maximum penalty of death.
2. The law firm thought that Mr Bykowski could __________ out his threats and sue the multinational corporation for damages.
3. They are expanding their fleet by adding new planes that can __________ up to 200 passengers.
1. There was credible intelligence information that the chemical __________ might be targeted by environmental groups.
2. Their efforts to __________ a bomb on a transatlantic flight were thwarted by the SWAT team.
3. In an attempt to boost the town's image as the greenest town in the region they intend to __________ 2,000 seedlings in the centre.
1. Now, without anybody to turn to, he had to __________ the biggest challenge in his life.
2. You're in love with her. Don't deny it. It's written all over your __________.
3. The acne on his __________ didn't want to disappear no matter how often she went to the solarium.
1. Holmes was sitting in his favourite chair with his pipe in his mouth __________ in thought.
2. She looks and talks tough, but __________ down she's a very sensitive person that can be easily offended.
3. Everybody, take a __________ breath. The roller coaster ride is about to begin.
1. You really want me to cheat my clients? Come on! We've __________ a reputation for being fair and trustworthy.
2. Josh is said to have __________ a small fortune selling second-hand goods and fake jewellery.
3. I was not going to get rid of my car. Though old, it still __________ its keep.
1. His ideology was shaped by a bunch of clerics giving speeches in a local __________ of worship.
2. Don't __________ too much emphasis on grammar. Vocabulary is more important.
3. After the last orders were taken and the pub closed for the night, he took her to his __________ to finish their fabulous night with a glass of champagne.
1. The new system ensuing fair treatment of all the people will come into __________ next year under the auspices of the United Nations.
2. Headquarters are planning to carry out a major __________ to take the insurgents off the streets.
3. He underwent a major bypass __________ when his heart started to send worrying signals.
1. Despite unforeseen difficulties, he made it a __________ of seeing her when his ship called at New York.
2. The infamous interrogator used to __________ his gun at prisoners to make them talk.
3. I think you've missed the __________. I didn't say I want the car. I said I like it.
1. The jury didn't __________ a unanimous decision due to a lack of sufficient evidence.
2. It has been reported that a 10-year-old child was seriously mauled when she tried to __________ out her hand to touch the lion.
3. Keep all the detergents out of __________ of children. They might drink them by mistake.
1. After a frantic fight for his life, the musician __________ away in the morning. The music scene is in mourning.
2. The new operating system was such a success that a few glitches in the software __________ largely unnoticed.
3. Archaeologists have put forward the theory that a broad street must have __________ through the town centre.
1. The press described the event as a peaceful __________. No damage was reported and the people behaved properly.
2. During the mating season males often stage a __________ of strength by showing their big fangs.
3. Because some customers wanted to see the appliance in action, he gave a quick __________ to show how it worked in the kitchen.
1. With poor follow-up service, the firm doesn't __________ a chance of keeping their customers happy.
2. On his hind legs the animal may __________ 1 metre high.
3. 'What does this abbreviation __________ for?' 'Unidentified Flying Object.'
1. Go down the street, turn left and the swimming pool is on your right. You can't __________ it.
2. You'd better hurry up if you don't want to __________ the post.
3. Many teenagers raised in a strict environment feel they __________ out on having fun. They should remember, however, that this kind of upbringing protects them from many problems.
1. I'm afraid there is no direct railway link between the towns and you have to __________ trains in Bristol.
2. And now, another item on the auction, a 17th century clock that, let's hope, will __________ hands in a moment.
3. 'The car isn't working, Daddy.' I think you have to __________ the battery.'
1. The disease was quickly diagnosed and he was immediately sent to hospital to be __________ for pneumonia.
2. 'All the hostages are being well __________ and are feeling OK.' said a masked man on video.
3. She took her children to the cinema and later __________ them to some sweets in the local restaurant. They enjoyed the evening immensely.
1. This standard feature of your word processor enables you to __________ the pages of your documents.
2. There is a good __________ of reasons to stop smoking, but obviously it's you who have to make the decision.
3. Jerry was searching the Net for a back __________ of the magazine that would complete his extensive collection.
1. It __________ to be seen whether they will bring oil prices down, but I doubt it.
2. I admit Susan's made a few mistakes dealing with our customers, but she __________ your superior. I trust her completely.
3. The explorers were delighted when they'd stumbled across the __________ of this forgotten ancient city closely guarded by the rainforest.
1. She was an exceptionally talented and __________ child. Adults marvelled at her ability to comprehend even the most complicated issues.
2. Once he got recognition in his native country, Mike began thinking about something more ambitious and decided to head for the __________ lights of Hollywood.
3. With the sales soaring, our company has a __________ future. Here's to our manager!
1. Their sudden __________ to fame took all the critics by surprise. They hadn't expected the band to dominate the charts.
2. The death toll is going to __________ as more bodies are being recovered.
3. One inconsiderate remark at the embassy gave __________ to rumours about the president's poor health.
1. He had to fly economy __________ because the firm had been hard hit by the recession.
2. I'm afraid you're not in the same __________ as your opponent in the semi finals. He's going to make mincemeat of you.
3. Janet has never been ashamed of her working __________ background and she always mentions it in interviews.
1. Luckily Mike had his __________ so we could contact the emergency services after his girlfriend had broken a leg in the remote parts of the mountains.
2. During the job interview he unashamedly called himself an upwardly __________ man with high ambitions.
3. The people kept in touch with culture through a __________ library that appeared in the village twice a year.
1. The firm has installed a bunch of highly __________ motion detectors to make it impossible for intruders to penetrate its premises.
2. A lot of young people are extremely __________ about their looks. A word of criticism may ruin their self-esteem.
3. Unlike other politicians, she tends to be __________ to her voters' needs. It's not surprising she's leading all the polls at the moment.
1. The grass on the golf __________ was perfectly groomed and beckoned those willing to have a game that morning.
2. The GP prescribed a __________ of injections that was to stop the spread of the infection.
3. After an aggressive advertising campaign, the university saw a steady flow of candidates enrolling on the __________.
1. Big companies are always on the lookout for __________ labour that will guarantee low production costs.
2. It's not the real thing. The watch on his wrist is only a __________ imitation of a Swiss watch that costs a fortune.
3. Life is __________ I tell you. If you read about people getting killed for a fiver, you wonder what kind of world we are living in.
1. I can't lend you any cash at the moment. I'm __________ for money myself.
2. Once the lights went out in the cinema, Luke wanted to embrace and kiss her, but she __________ him away and gave him a slap in the face.
3. Recently you've __________ yourself too hard at work. Take a few days off and you'll feel much better.
1. The river goes down the hill, then __________ gently and flows into the sea.
2. They took __________ drilling the hole in the ground. When George got tired, Scott took over.
3. Even if she __________ you down, you don't have to panic. You'll find another girl. There are plenty more fish in the sea.
1. The unemployment rate has hit a new record level and inflation is __________ at about 30 percent which bodes ill for the country.
2. Clare shouldn't teach small children. She keeps __________ out of patience when they don't understand her instructions.
3. The house has everything you need: central heating, __________ water and even air-conditioning. What else would you like?
1. I can understand why the customs officer decided to __________ out only the two of as from the group. In our ragged clothes we looked suspicious.
2. The artist's new __________ was well received among the critics, but surprisingly, the fans voted it the worst he had ever recorded.
3. Despite his mother's constant nagging, Russell loved being a bachelor and remained __________ until he was 45.
1. When the new coach took over, he realized there was still __________ for improvement. Firstly, they needed to beef up the defence.
2. This desk in our study takes up too much __________ I think we should give it away.
3. With the timetable set and all the students ready to start the academic year, there was little __________ for manoeuvre when two teachers were injured in a car crash.
1. There is free __________ to all the museums on our tour which might be good news for budget conscious visitors.
2. His resignation was instantly interpreted as an __________ of failure. Despite frantic efforts to revive the company, it recorded losses for the third time in a row.
3. Because Liam was completely drunk he was refused __________ to the disco and had to go home.
1. Though the educational system puts a lot of pupils under enormous __________, hardly anything is being done to improve it.
2. I'd like to __________ the importance of regular mental exercise that will make you feel challenged.
3. The primary __________ should be placed on the first syllable, not the second.
1. It was widely believed in the Middle Ages that some people could turn into werewolves when the moon was __________.
2. To feed her three babies, she was forced to work __________ time in a Chinese takeaway.
3. The cost of the stay includes __________ board and unlimited use of our sports facilities. So feel free to pamper yourself.
1. Young talented football players can enormously __________ if they are given the chance to learn from the best.
2. It's not a picnic to live on unemployment __________ in Poland. Each day is a struggle.
3. With the __________ of hindsight, it was obvious that the security measures hadn't been adequate enough to stop the attack.
1. Life in the town __________ seemed too hectic for him. On the other hand, living on the outskirts was a bit inconvenient.
2. In an effort to cut costs the telephone operator established its call __________ in a foreign country.
3. Don't say that, Jenny. I do adore you. You're the __________ of my universe.
1. Let's ask a local where we are because I find it difficult to _____ that old map of yours.
2. Ann's going to burn the midnight oil tonight. She needs to _____ up on biology before her exam tomorrow.
3. You've got to tell me what you're thinking. I can't _____ your mind, can I?
1. I don't trust politicians as a _____ rule. One can't be too careful, can they?
2. At the end of their investigation the committee came up with a _____ overview of the banking sector and recommended some changes.
3. The president dissolved the parliament and called for _____ elections to be held as soon as possible.
1. The government has come under _____ from the press for not doing enough to provide people with affordable housing.
2. I told you she would take to him. In fact, they got on like a house on _____
3. Exhausted and soaked, the scouts made a _____ upon reaching the camp.
1. The criminal _____ away with a number of offences in exchange for cooperation with the police.
2. My car _____ stolen when I was holidaying in Poland. Luckily, it was found two days later.
3. It was only when Linda _____ to know them better that she managed to give up her deeply-rooted prejudices.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Trios CPE 1
Trios CPE 3
1000 trios for CPE 1
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
CAE Gapped Sentences - Advanced PART 1
Huck Finn Hon Eng 2 Test
Literatura Norteamericana I (2ºpart)
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Vite et bien
Poser un lapin