1. Some years ago, I was in the country of Venezuela ___________ a third party between the government and the political opposition at a time of intense conflict, with a lot of people fearing a civil war.
dirty tricksdishonest activities intended to harm someone you are competing against
1. You're not seeing all the ____________ those traitors are up to.traitora person who gives away or sells secrets of his or her country, or someone who is not loyal to particular beliefs or friends
1. You're not seeing all the dirty tricks those _________ are up to.be up to somethingto be doing something, often troublesome
1. You're not seeing all the dirty tricks those traitors _______________.lean into (cause to) slope in one direction, or to move the top part of the body in a particular direction
1. He __________ very close to my face and proceeded to shout.proceeded toto do something after you have done something else
1. He leaned in very close to my face and ______________ shout.part of mesome but not all of a person's thoughts or feelings
1. ____________ felt like defending myself, naturally.what good would it do for methe speaker uses this phrase to describe how an action would provide no benefit to him
1. But _________________________________ to get into an argument with the President of Venezuela?advanceto go or move something forward, or to develop or improve something
1. How would that __________ peace?attentionthe act of directing the mind to listen, see, or understand; notice
1. I gave him my full ____________.come fromto consider someone's perspective, also to be born, or made in a particular place
1. I listened to where he was _____________.nodto move your head down and then up, sometimes several times, especially to show agreement, approval, or greeting, or to show something by doing this
1. After 30 minutes of me just nodding and listening, I saw his shoulders slowly sagsagto bend or sink lower
1. After 30 minutes of me just nodding and listening, I saw his shoulders slowly ________.wearyin a way that shows that you are very tired
1. He said to me in a very __________ tone of voice: "So, Uri, what should I do?"tone of voicea quality in the voice that expresses the speaker's feelings or thoughts, often towards the person being spoken to
1. He said to me in a very weary ___________: "So, Uri, what should I do?"the sound of a human mind opening to listenthe speaker uses yet another clever phrase to describe when someone thinks/concentrates/hears so deeply that it makes a sound.
1. That's the _______________________________________needs a breakdesires a period of time to cool off and relax
1. The country ________________.proposeto give someone a plan or idea to consider
1. Why not ____________ a truce this time so that people can enjoy the holidays with their families?trucea short interruption in a war or argument, or an agreement to stop fighting or arguing for a period of time
1. Why not propose a _________ this time so that people can enjoy the holidays with their families?better moodfeeling happy or pleasant
1. After that, maybe everybody will be in a ______________ to listen.going to announceintent to say something in the future
1. I'm ______________ that in my next speech.completelyin every way or as much as possible
1. His mood had ____________ shifted.shiftchange or adjust
1. His mood had completely ___________.